Headteacher Gloucestershire. Permanent. Group 6 L29 to L35
The Governors of Barnwood Park are looking for an exceptional Headteacher with vision, drive, energy and proven leadership skills to build upon our school's success.
Barnwood Park continues to be a school ‘on the up’. It is a very popular, over-subscribed 11 to 16 Local Authority maintained foundation school serving the eastern edge of Gloucester. Formerly a smaller than average girls’ comprehensive school, we currently have 762 NOR and are expanding to 900 NOR; we will be fully co-educational by 2022. We are proud of our school’s commitment to high standards for all our students, its inclusive ethos, its happy, secure learning environment and its broad range of extra-curricular activities.
Employer: Barnwood Park School
Salary: Group 6 L29 to L35
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing date: 27 January 2020 at 9:00 am
Interview Dates: 26, 27 & 28 February 2020
Job starts: 01 September 2020
The Application Process
All applicants are strongly advised to read the Headteacher application pack which includes the Job Description and Person Specification and tailor their application to these requirements.
These informal visits can be arranged for the week of 13 -17 January by contacting the Headteacher’s PA Vicki Quinn, firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 01452 530389 to arrange a time.
For further information please visit the school website vacancies page:
All applicants should submit the following 2 documents via email, marked:
For the attention of Rosie Goodwin at email@example.com
(Rosie can also be contacted at EPM on Tel: 01480 423 436).
The closing date is 27 January 2020 at 09:00 am
1. Completed Application Form
This can be downloaded from: www.barnwood-park.gloucs.sch.uk/contact-us/vacancies
2. Formal Letter of Application
A formal letter of application should also be submitted. This should be no more than three sides of A4 (size 10 – 12 font).
Please explain why you are applying for the position and how your experience, personal qualities and skills help to make you a suitable candidate. It is essential that you provide us with details that demonstrate how you meet the criteria on the Person Specification. You must meet all the essential criteria on the Person Specification as a minimum.
We will use this to help us decide whether to invite you to interview.
Shortlisting: 30 January 2020
Candidates will be called to interview based on their fit to the Person Specification as laid out in their application.
Candidates will be notified if they are being invited to interview on 31 January 2020
References will be sought from 4 February 2020 with a deadline of 18 February 2020
Interviews: 26, 27 & 28 February 2020: To be held at the school.
Barnwood Park School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects its staff to share this commitment. Appointment is subject to a successful Enhanced DBS check
Essential educational requirements
QUALIFICATIONS AND CPD RECORD Essential:
• Qualified Teacher Status and first degree (or equivalent)
• Record of CPD relevant to Headship
• Higher degree relevant to Headship; NPQH; CPD record includes substantial relevant achievement
EMPLOYMENT RECORD Essential:
• Successful track record of senior leadership, secondary sector and whole school initiatives
PERSONAL EFFECTIVENESS Essential:
• Resilient, energetic, driven, supportive, confident
• Committed to own personal & professional CPD
• Able to identify, prioritise and resolve issues
• Adaptable and responsive to circumstances
• Consistent in judgement and inner integrity
• Clear and confident communicator in all situations
LEADING AND MANAGING STAFF Essential:
• High-level understanding and implementation of management structures & systems, delegation, accountability
• Inspire & maintain high morale, resolve problems and conflict
• Positive and approachable, commitment to equal ops
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT, PROGRESS AND SAFETY
• Concerned about individual student needs; regards personal safety and achievement for each individual as the highest priorities
• Able to inspire high levels of performance in students
• Able to analyse complex issues relating to students’ attainment and progress and develop effective and creative responses
• Successful track record in managing and deep appreciation of monitoring and evaluation techniques of student progress, translating into detailed plans with specific measurable targets
• Proven ability to promote and maintain high standards of behaviour
MANAGING RESOURCES Essential:
• Analyse complex issues relating to finance and resources and learning environment issues and develop effective and creative responses.
• A vision for 21st Century learning environment
Essential skills and experience
• Depth of knowledge of the National Curriculum and sound experience of curriculum delivery, monitoring and assessment
• Analyse complex curriculum issues and develop effective and creative responses
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of current national and international curriculum thinking which informs school priorities and developments and mapping against school’s progress
STAKEHOLDERS AND THE LOCAL COMMUNITY Essential:
• Effective communicator with all stakeholders and is sensitive to the school's role within the community
• Able to establish effective links and a standing with the local community and a wide variety of stakeholders
ACCOUNTABILITY AND GOVERNANCE Essential:
• Successful school development planning and a strong track record of implementing sustained improvements
• Work cooperatively and collaboratively with governors
• Substantial successful teaching experience, secondary age range
Group 6 L29 to L35
About Barnwood Park School
Barnwood Park School. This is a very exciting time to be considering joining us as we changed from being a girls’ comprehensive school to being a mixed comprehensive school in September 2018 and we have expanded our numbers in 2019. We have gone through a period of steep slope improvement over the last few years, since 2012. We were officially recognised as a Good school by Ofsted in 2014 and July 2019. We won an award from the DfE in 2015 for being one of the most improved schools in the country.
- St Lawrence Road, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL4 3QU
- LA Maintained School
- Barnwood Park School website (opens in a new window)