Watling Street Primary School, Walsall, West Midlands
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||£56,579 to £65,561|
Job title: Headteacher
Salary: Leadership Range L14 – L20 (£56578.30 - £65560.71)
Hours: Full Time
The Headteacher will:
• Formulate the aims and objectives of the school and provide overall strategic leadership
• Establish policies for achieving these aims and objectives
• Manage staff and resources to that end
• Monitor progress towards the achievement of the school’s aims and objectives
• Lead by example, and model best practice regarding professional conduct, workload and personal development
• Be a role model for all in our community
Duties and responsibilities
Qualities and knowledge
• Lead by example, holding and articulating clear values and moral purpose, and focusing on providing excellent education for all pupils
• Build positive relationships with all members of the school community, showing positive attitudes to them
• Keep up to date with developments in education, and have a good knowledge of education systems locally, nationally and globally
• Work with political and financial astuteness, translating policy into the school’s context
• Communicate the school’s vision compellingly and drive strategic leadership
• Seek training and continuing professional development to meet own needs
Pupils and staff
• Demand ambitious standards for all pupils, instilling a strong sense of accountability in staff for the impact of their work on pupil outcomes
• Encourage the development of a culture that offers equality of opportunity to all pupils
• Ensure excellent teaching in the school, including training and development of staff
• Establish a culture of ‘open classrooms’ as a basis for sharing best practice
• Create an ethos within which all staff are motivated and supported to develop their skills and knowledge
• Identify emerging talents, coaching current and aspiring leaders
• Hold all staff to account for their professional conduct and practice
• Manage the appointment of teaching and non-teaching staff
Systems and processes
• Ensure that the school’s systems, organisation and processes are well considered, efficient and fit for purpose
• Provide a safe, calm and well-ordered environment for all pupils and staff, focused on safeguarding pupils and developing exemplary behaviour
• Implement systems for managing the performance of all staff, addressing any underperformance, supporting staff to improve, and valuing excellent practice
• Welcome and work with the governing board as appropriate, providing the information it needs to govern effectively
• Support strategic, curriculum-led financial planning to ensure effective use of budgets and resources
• Support distribution of leadership throughout the school
The self-improving school system
• Create an outward-facing school which works with other schools and organisations to secure excellent outcomes for all pupils
• Develop effective relationships with fellow professionals
• Model entrepreneurial and innovative approaches to school improvement and leadership
• Inspire and influence others to believe in the fundamental importance of education in young people’s lives and to promote the value of education
The headteacher will be required to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people, and follow school policies and the staff code of conduct.
This job description may be amended at any time in consultation with the postholder.
Essential educational requirements
Qualified Teacher Status
NPQH or registration course (for candidates who are not serving Headteachers)
Essential skills and experience
Proven experience as a head or evidence of successful senior leadership and management.
Evidence of raising standards.
Evidence of effective leadership of successful, significant change.
Involvement in school self-evaluation and development planning.
Demonstrable experience of successful line management, staff development and Performance Management.
Experience of effective finances and financial management.
|School type||LA Maintained School|
|School size||235 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||3 to 11|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|School website||Watling Street Primary School website (opens in a new window)|
About Watling Street Primary School
Watling Street, Walsall, West Midlands, WS8 7LW