Join Athena - Inspiring World-Class Education Together!
At Athena, we are a passionate and forward-looking educational organisation committed to providing world-class education and helping individuals lead great lives. Our core values of "Dream Big, Take Responsibility, and Be Kind" guide our mission to create a supportive and inclusive learning environment where everyone can excel and grow.
At Athena, we believe in the power of education to transform lives and shape a brighter future. We are dedicated to fostering a strong sense of community, where students, educators, and parents collaborate to achieve academic excellence and personal growth. Our commitment to "Dream Big, Take Responsibility, and Be Kind" underpins everything we do, inspiring our students to aim high, take ownership of their learning, and treat each other with respect and compassion.
We are inspired by wisdom, creativity and learning. Determined to create a world where all children get to go to great schools, our mission is to provide the knowledge and education to bring opportunities, choices and freedom.
If you want to be part of an inspirational team of big thinkers who will support you to develop your full potential and value your knowledge, passion, wellbeing and commitment, it sounds like you could be on your way to joining us and becoming an Athenian.
Our Commitment to You:
We recognise that all of our people have a role to play in ensuring our students have access to world class education and so are our most valuable asset. We are committed to creating an inclusive and supportive work environment that promotes both personal and professional growth. Here are some of the benefits and perks you can enjoy as a member of our team:
People: passionate about making a difference in the lives of each other and our students
Development: we love learning and provide all with professional development opportunities. We invest in our employees' growth and development through continuous learning opportunities, training programs, and mentorship.
Flexibility: We believe in achieving work-life balance, and we offer flexible working arrangements to suit your individual needs. Our staff work flexibly within a range of different patterns and positions
Value: our staff have a great pension, lots of holiday entitlement, access to sick pay and nationally negotiated rates of pay
Impact: we work as a team to improve our children’s life chances and opportunities
Leaders: we see everyone as a school leader
Support: valuing our employee time and impact by investing it well and providing wrap around support
Wellbeing: we value the holiday we have to do things that make us happy and healthy
Employee Wellbeing Initiatives: your wellbeing is important to us. We offer a range of initiatives and resources to support your physical, mental, and emotional health.
Car Schemes: we offer car schemes that cater to your commuting needs.
Perkbox: Enjoy access to Perkbox, a platform offering a wide array of discounts, benefits, and rewards to enhance your lifestyle.
Join us on this journey to inspire greatness in ourselves and others. Together, we can create a brighter future and make a lasting difference in the lives of our students and the communities we serve.
How to Apply:
If you are passionate about our values and dedicated to making a meaningful impact on education, we invite you to apply. Please complete the application form on My New Term and tell us about how you connect with our values of "Dream Big, Take Responsibility, and Be Kind" and what you feel you can contribute to our team and our goal to deliver world class education.
As a Learning Support Assistant, you will play a pivotal role in ensuring our students receive world class education. You will take a pro-active role in the support of the educational, developmental and social needs of our students.
You will work closely with teachers, school staff and students to ensure that all students receive the support and guidance they need to succeed and go on to lead great lives. As an LSA you will primarily work with individuals or small groups of students who require additional support, but you will also be a key role model for the wider class and school.
Key areas of responsibility - What will you be doing
· To assist individuals and groups of children in developing knowledge, skills and attitudes.
· To take into account the learning support involved to aid the children to learn as effectively as possible.
· To assist in preparing, using and maintaining relevant teaching resources, including wall displays and cleaning up classrooms after activities. To ensure that basic classroom materials are available for use.
· To supervise an individual or small group of children within a class under the overall control of the teacher.
· The post holder is responsible for his/her own self-development on a continuous basis.
· To encourage social integration and individual development of students. To develop methods of promoting and reinforcing students’ self-esteem.
· To attend staff meetings and school-based INSET as required.
· To establish supportive relationships with the student/s concerned and to encourage acceptance and inclusion of all students.
· To be aware of confidential issues linked to home/student/teacher/school work and to ensure the confidentiality of such sensitive information.
· To assist with lunch and break time supervision of children.
Clarity and Energy
· To develop methods of promoting/reinforcing the student’s self-esteem and to promote independence through the development of self-help skills.
· To carry out administrative tasks associated with all of the above duties as directed by the teacher.
· To accompany children on educational visits and outings as supervised by the Teacher.
· To assist with the assessment, monitoring and recording of children’s progress, health, behaviour and general wellbeing. To feedback any information (including concerns) regarding the well-being and educational needs of children to the teacher or Principal as appropriate.
· To meet with the Student Support Centre Manager, Head of Individual Needs and/or other appropriate staff.
Person Specification - How you will be doing it
● Deliver value opportunities for world class education for all students
● To maintain confidentiality of information acquired in the course of undertaking duties for the department.
● Ensure Health and Safety and Safeguarding are at the centre of your approach.
● Take accountability for your own development and aspire to deliver the very best practice across all areas of your role.
● To encourage acceptance and inclusion of all students.
● Support positive strategies for promoting equality and for challenging racial and other prejudice.
GCSE’s or equivalent to include Maths & English at a C grade or above
Good levels of literacy and numeracy
Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
Strong organisational and time management skills
A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
Flexible, adaptable and able to handle unexpected changes in schedules.
Ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines
Self-motivated and able to work in a team to collaborate with teachers, other support staff and parent to deliver effective support to students
Previous experience of working with children with complex needs/challenging behaviours within a classroom environment or similar
Experience working with students with diverse backgrounds and learning needs
Strong ability to work with technology and educational software
Knowledge of issues relevant to education and child development
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified.
Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description
You could reasonably be asked to work out of our partner sites to support where required
Please refer to our safeguarding policy on the Athena Learning Trust website at:
This school accepts applications through their own website, where you may also find more information about this job.
Skilled worker visa sponsorship is not available for this job.