We are looking for a Learning Support Assistant to work within
one of the 4 broad areas of SEN, supporting the lead HLTA in delivering an effective intervention
This role will deliver 1:1 or small group interventions and be a key worker for a number of specified SEN pupils.
The school is a founding member of The Tarka Learning Partnership (TLP), an academy trust with a vision to empower
young people in North Devon through learning. The Trust includes Park’s main feeder primary schools - Eden Park
Academy, Sticklepath Community Primary Academy, Landkey Community Primary Academy, Roundswell Community
Primary Academy, Newport Community School Primary Academy, Fremington Primary School along with North Molton
Primary School. TLP also includes the Devon Primary SCITT, a partner dedicated to primary school teacher training.
TLP supports Park and ensures academic rigour, collaboration and the further development of teaching and learning.
Park also has strategic alliances with the North Devon Academic Board, and is a member of South West Institute for
Teaching (SWIFT). This reflects a key focus of our vision and governance to ensure continual school development.
Job Title: Learning Support Assistant
Responsible to: HLTA
Work Pattern: Contracted hours full time 33.23 hours per week. Monday to Friday between 8.30am - 4.00pm, 39 weeks
Grade: NJC Grade C Scale Points 5- 7, full time salary £23,500 - £24,294. Pro-rata full time actual salary £18,155 per
1. To work within one of the 4 broad areas of SEN, supporting the lead HLTA in delivering an effective intervention
2. Attending the welfare and personal care of pupils including those with special educational needs.
3. To take responsibility for delivering bespoke interventions to small groups or 1:1 students.
4. Assisting with the planning cycle for interventions.
5. Updating and maintaining school systems and helping to keep all relevant teaching staff informed of key
6. Key worker for a number of specified SEN pupils which will include regular contact with parents.
7. To support students in lessons with their learning as directed by the classroom teacher.
Shared Responsibilities with other Leadership Team members:
1. Foster community and regional Links.
2. Work to strengthen and enhance The Park Community School’s values and culture.
3. Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
4. Create a positive behaviour culture based on kindness and empathy.
5. Work with the wider inclusion team to reduce exclusions.
6. To liaise with the SENDCo in developing an outstanding provision for students within our community.
Key Function 1: Supporting the four broad areas of SEN (Cognition and Learning (C&L), Communication and
Interaction(C&I), Social, Emotional and Mental Health(SEMH), Sensory and/or Physical (Sens/Phys))
- To be allocated to one of the 4 broad areas of SEN as directed by the SENDCo and to assist the lead HLTA in
delivering an effective intervention programme.
- To work 1:1, or with a small group of students, with some of the students having special educational needs and
possibly an EHCP. To focus specifically on the student needs identified by the teacher/HLTA and/or within the
Plan / EHCP as required.
- To assist with planning learning activities on a regular basis and also to deliver pre-determined learning,
language, care and support programmes.
- To implement and deliver intervention programmes enabling access to learning for pupils. This can be in class or
small withdrawal groups based in the classroom or other locations.
- To promote good behaviour, dealing promptly with incidents in line with established policy, encouraging
students to take responsibility for their own behaviour.
- To promote self-esteem and independence.
- To administer routine assessments and undertake routine assessment of students’ work as directed by the
Teacher or HLTA Lead.
- To establish constructive relationships with parents/carers, and where appropriate participate in feedback
sessions with parents alongside the learning support teacher.
- To report back to the HLTA lead/teacher as required, including feedback on students’ achievement, progress,
and any problems.
- To carry out whole school tasks that support the organisation of the school, as directed by the SENDCo, Deputy
SENDCo, Head Teacher or HLTA lead.
- To assist in the preparation of materials e.g. duplicating/photocopying, making visual aids and in the efficient
operation of teaching areas in the school, e.g. display work, maintaining a supportive learning environment.
- Potential and flexibility to work and manage the Succession Group within the Study and Support Centre.
Key Function 2: Record Keeping
- To maintain/update or create meaningful pupil plans that support the development of the students in your care.
- Liaise with parents regarding the targets set within the plans.
- To monitor students progress against learning plans, passports, EHCP and other support plans, keeping a record,
if required, of significant incidents and progress made.
- To attend and gather relevant information for annual reviews, TAFS and other professionals meetings as
Key Function 3: Within the wider classroom and school setting
- To use strategies, in liaison with the teacher to support students in achieving learning goals (including
demanding expectations) and to monitor students’ responses accurately, recording progress.
- To attend relevant meetings as required and support the work of other professionals.
- To assist with the supervision of students outside lesson times as required.
- To accompany teaching staff and students on visits, trips and out of school activities as requested.
- To contribute to the overall ethos and aims of the school and promote inclusion and acceptance of all students.
- To attend to the welfare and personal care of students, including those with special educational needs.
- To be aware of and comply with policies or procedures relating to Child Protection, Health and Safety,
confidentiality, data protection and reporting all concerns to a relevant person.
- To participate in the support staff appraisal process and attend relevant training courses.
- To undertake other duties appropriate to the grading of the post as required.
This job description will be reviewed annually to reflect the plans, growth and development of the School.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early.
This job post has expired.