About the role
We are looking to appoint an ambitious Performing Arts Technician to support our Director of Performing Arts with the provision of technical preparation and support for rehearsals, internal and external performances.
The post-holder will also be required to provide informed teaching and guidance on aspects of technical theatre, and to support the wider use of Performing Arts resources throughout the school.
Overtime will be available during performance times and external bookings of the facilities. This is likely to include Friday and Saturday afternoons/evenings between the hours of 13:00 and 21:30.
Responsibiities will include:
- supporting academic staff in the preparation of resources for Performing Arts lessons and assessed practical work
- providing easily accessed, responsive support to Performing Arts lessons and Theatre users
- ensuring that Performing Arts teaching and performance spaces are fully prepared, safe and fit for purpose at all times
- overseeing the maintenance, inventory, upkeep and upgrading of tools, resources and stock as required, ensuring that all resources are stored safely
- where the occasion requires it, securing the school site after an event
- undertaking regular, scheduled maintenance, supervision and operation of all lighting, sound, audio equipment, electronic instruments and AV systems used for the Performing Arts
- reporting any damaged equipment and out of date PAT testing to the School Business Manager
- ensuring that all users of the Performing Arts facilities are fully supported with the appropriate resources and expertise as required
- monitoring and maintaining stock items (lamps, gels, gobos, tape, screws, timber etc)
- ordering and obtaining supplies as required
- keeping up-to-date with and implementing industry and school health and safety measures
- attending rehearsals for Drama productions in order to assist with relevant technical preparations where appropriate
- providing technical support and expertise for Music and Drama performances - to include movement and setting up of instruments and music stands, operation of equipment, supervision of staff and students, construction and scenic design and provision and maintenance of properties and wardrobe elements
- ensuring that all practical student examinations are fully supported from early rehearsals to the planning of technical rehearsals and final performances
- creating and producing lighting, sound and AV designs to a high standard in consultation with the relevant production director/students
- recording, editing and digitally producing records of all Music and Drama performances and examinations
- providing technical teaching support and resources as part of teacher-led lessons to all students, but specifically those wishing to pursue technical pathways for assessment at GCSE and BTEC level
- supporting the school’s Artsmark commitment as required
- promoting and safeguarding the welfare of students in your care or that you come into contact with, in accordance with the school’s Child Protection and Safeguarding policies
- complying with, promoting and acting in accordance with all school policies
- to be responsible for complying with data protection legislation and expectations for confidentiality, and to report any breaches to the School Business Manager at the earliest opportunity
- to be responsible for complying with health & safety legislation and guidance, and to report any issues or breaches to the Director of Performing Arts / Site Manager
We are looking for someone with:
- previous experience in a Theatre or Live Event setting
- relevant experience of stage lighting and sound systems
- GCSE English/Maths Grade 5 or above, or equivalent
- excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- accuracy and attention to detail
- excellent IT skills
- an ability to work on MS Office applications
- good organisational skills with an ability to prioritise competing demands, demonstrate proactivity and think laterally
- a collaborative and positive attitude withh a good sense of humour
- a passion for the Performing Arts
- a full clean driving licence
Previous experience of working in a school or with young people would also be advantageous.
In return, you will have access to our staff benefits package including:
- An annual Flex Day to be taken on a day of your choice (with an additional day granted for every 4 years of service)
- Free parking on site
- Free use of the school gym
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free 24/7 access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Access to our in-house team of Mental Health First Aiders
- Buddy system for new staff
- Regular staff socials
- mentoring and CPD opportunities
- Discounts with local businesses
- An opportunity to work with friendly and welcoming colleagues in a modern, aesthetically pleasing and forward-thinking environment.
If you share our belief that young people have the right to a transformational educational experience that will enable them to fulfil their potential and realise their ambitions, then we look forward to hearing from you.
At KWS, we understand the value of having a workforce that reflects and represents our multi-ethnic student body from an equality, diversity and inclusivity perspective. We therefore welcome and embrace applications from all backgrounds.
We are also committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and visitors to share this commitment. This post will require a Full Enhanced, with List Checks, Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS).
As part of our selection and appointment process, and in accordance with Keeping Children Safe in Education guidance, we are required to conduct online searches on all candidates in order to identify any incidents or concerns which are publicly available online. By submitting and signing your application, you acknowledge that such searches will be conducted as part of the selection and appointment process.
Applications will be shortlisted throughout the process, and we may interview and close the advert early if we are in a position to recruit a suitable candidate. We therefore encourage interested candidates to apply early.
If you're interested in teaching or training to teach in England as an international citizen, we can help you understand your next steps
This school accepts applications through their own website, where you may also find more information about this job.
Skilled worker visa sponsorship is not available for this job.