Reading Intervention Teaching leader - Fixed term 12 months subject to funding
Teachers’ Pay Scales plus TLR 2C
plus school teachers terms and conditions
The Reading Intervention Teaching Leader will be an inspirational and outstanding practitioner. Under the direction of the Assistant Head of School for Literacy for Learning, they will take a leading role in the development of a phonics based curriculum and provide specialist CPD on early reading to Departmental Leaders, English and SEND in the first instance. They will take a strategic role in developing reading across the academy, horizon scanning best practice, under pinned by research. As an essential part of the Literacy Intervention Team, they will be strategically deployed to teach groups of identified pupils to overcome barriers to word acquisition and comprehension to enable them to rapidly raise their reading levels.
They will strive for excellence in all they do and be committed to providing first class provision for all our pupils. They will have energy, experience and passion to motivate themselves and the pupils to be the best they can be.
Excellent teamwork, high standards of professionalism and a capacity to work hard will be at the core of their success. They will be a creative thinker with the ability, determination and commitment to work collaboratively with the Academy Leadership Team to continue the development of the Academy.
This post carries significant line management responsibilities.
General Leadership Responsibilities:
To work in partnership with the Assistant Head of School for Literacy for Learning to ensure high standards though provision which maximises the progress, achievement, behaviour and safety of all pupils.
· To take specific responsibilities within the Literacy Intervention Team as may be agreed with the Assistant Head of School.
· Develop and maintain a culture of high expectations for self and others.
· Lead by example as a teacher, and as a manager, achieving high standards of pupil attainment and progress, behaviour and motivation through effective teaching.
· Ensure appropriate quality of monitoring, assessment, recording and evaluation of student progress and performance
· Support and implement the Team’s quality assurance procedures, challenging all under performance when required.
· Challenge all under performance at all levels within the Team and ensure corrective action and follow up.
· Actively engage and support in the academy CPD cycle.
· Contribute to the Literacy Development Plan and support the Assistant Head of School in its review.
· Performance manage the Higher Level Learning Support works within the Team.
· Actively contribute to Team meetings and lead in the absence of the Assistant Head of School.
· Sustain effective, positive relationships with all staff, pupils, parents/carers, Governors and the local community.
· Support the organisation and presentation of the Team’s teaching spaces.
· Ensure pupils are well behaved and stay safe in Team’s areas.
· Act as an ambassador in promoting and celebrating the work and achievements of the academy always.
· Attend academy events and activities as directed by the Head of School.
· Contribute to the smooth running of all open/curriculum evenings throughout the academic year.
· Actively support the academy duty rota.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POST
· Create and oversee the implementation of a phonics based curriculum to close the gap and ensure successful outcomes are met for targeted students.
· Support the Assistant Head of School in the implementation of specialist CPD to develop staff knowledge and understanding of how to teach reading and language aquisition.
· Support the Assistant Head of School in the strategic oversight of the reading curriculum throughout the academy and assist the Deputy Team Leader for English with the introduction of reading initiatives.
· Act as the key research link for reading and disseminate information.
· GL Assessment transition link with feeder primaries and for students who transfer in year from another Blackpool Secondary School.
· Lead diagnostic assessment of Literacy needs for all students new to area and establish appropriate pathways.
· Implement specific programmes of work for targeted students to rapidly raise attainment in reading.
· Track, monitor and analyse Literacy Intervention Team’s data and prepare and present reports in the required formats as required.
· Under the direction of the Assistant Head of School, co-ordinate, monitor and line manage the Higher Level Learning Support Workers’ implementation of reading interventions.
Essential educational requirements
Successful teaching experience.
Experience and success of raising standards and achievement so pupils consistently perform above expected.
Proven experience and success in developing whole school polices and strategies, impacting positively on outcomes.
Successful experience of developing and inclusive and effective learning environment.
Degree relevant to the post Q.T.S.
Evidence of continuing professional development or further professional study impacting on standards.
Essential skills and experience
Highly competent in all areas of the Teaching Standards.
Excellent understanding of developing early reading and language acquisition.
Excellent classroom practitioner impacting positively on pupil outcomes.
Excellent understanding of good Assessment for Learning techniques.
Ability to plan and evaluate schemes of work. Can demonstrate consistently excellent class management and the ability to command authority and act decisively when required.
Good knowledge and understanding of best practice and procedures for safeguarding pupils.
Good knowledge of how to promote the principles of inclusion to ensure all groups make good progress.
Competent ICT skills. Excellent oral and written communications skills.
Cycle to work scheme
Good Motorway links
About South Shore Academy
South Shore Academy is part of Bright Futures Educational Trust. At South Shore, we believe that all students should be supported, stretched and challenged in every lesson during their school-based education so that they can achieve and make choices to help them to live a happy, successful life. We are looking for enthusiastic and committed teachers to work as part of a friendly, successful and hardworking Academy. South Shore Academy has a brand new state of the art building and has a range of incredible facilities including a Sports Hall Complex, Dance and Drama Facilities, Science Labs, ICT Suites, 3G Pitch and much more.
- St Anne's Road, Blackpool, Lancashire, FY4 2AR
- South Shore Academy website (opens in a new window)