Second in Science
PURPOSE OF THE POST:
• To teach Science to the full range of abilities
• To ensure appropriate differentiation for students.
• To ensure high levels of attainment and progress in Science.
• To assist the Principal and Head of Science in challenging under-achievement with a particular focus on those who are at risk of under-achievement.
• To promote the Christian ethos of the College.
• To carry out any other specific duty assigned by the Principal or their appointed representative
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
To work with the Head of Science in the following areas:
1. To assist the Head of Science in the development and evaluation of the department improvement plan, including curriculum review and planning;
2. To be a model of excellent practice of teaching and learning in order to give Science teachers advice and guidance on improving the quality of learning;
3. Identify pupils who are underachieving and ensure appropriate and reasonable strategies are put in place to support them in Science;
4. Ensure there is a clear vision as to how the subject should be taught and developed;
5. Contribute to and support the induction of new staff;
6. Plan engaging lessons which motivate and inspire individual students and groups of students to achieve beyond what they thought possible;
7. To establish and then maintain the highest expectations about what the learners are capable of achieving;
8. To arrange, wherever appropriate, Science enrichment activities;
9. To set regular and meaningful homework which fosters independent learning skills amongst the students in Science;
10. To teach Science across all ability levels;
11. Assess work regularly and provide oral and written feedback on an ongoing basis so that students can make progress;
12. Ensure the effective use of data to promote students’ learning and target setting is well embedded into the department;
13. Keep parents and other members of staff informed of the progress that is being made by the students in Science;
14. Seize every opportunity for professional development both within the Science curriculum and general pedagogy so that the subject and the school stay abreast of the latest educational initiatives within Science education;
15. Implement a process of self-evaluation which informs future practice;
16. Regularly review and update schemes of work;
17. Promote collaboration between all members of the team;
18. Promote educational inclusion with a wide range of teaching and behaviour strategies;
19. Encourage and listen to the “learner voice” about learning within the subject;
20. Maintain the highest standards of behaviour.
Essential educational requirements
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
Up to date knowledge of examination specifications for GCSE Science.
Up to date knowledge of best practice in teaching and learning in Science.
Knowledge of effective strategies for meeting the needs of SEND and EAL learners in Science.
Knowledge of effective strategies for meeting the needs of the most able in Science.
High quality CPD
About Christ's College, Guildford
Christ's College is part of the Good Shepherd Trust and is a thriving secondary school serving the non-Christian and Christian community of Guildford, Woking and surrounding areas. Our aim for the students at Christ's College is that they should develop the core values of service, respect, stewardship, co-operation and love.
- Larch Avenue, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 1JY
- Christ's College, Guildford website (opens in a new window)