Are you looking for the next step in your career? Would you like the opportunity to work with some of the brightest students in our sixth form, which is over 200 strong? Chemistry is among the top five most popular subjects and our students have made successful Oxbridge applications after achieving the highest possible grades. It is hugely rewarding to work with our brightest and our best right through from KS3 to 5, nurturing and shaping the future of students in North Shropshire.
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic Chemist to join a fully committed, mutually supportive and forward looking department in our 11-18 school. Thomas Adams has a strong reputation and is regularly oversubscribed.
The department is very successful across all Key Stages and Science subjects are very popular at A Level. Our priority will always be to appoint an outstanding practitioner in the classroom and a willingness to be part of a team and to contribute to the overall benefit of the students is essential. The teaching of Science takes place in well-resourced, modern laboratories, supported by an experienced technician team.
The post holder is expected to:
- Bring Chemistry to life with inspirational teaching and excellent relationships with students
- Promote the highest standards of teaching Science within the framework of Science and share ideas to promote best practice within the department;
- Maintain and update innovative and challenging schemes of work in partnership with the Subject Leader;
- Ensure high standards of discipline and organisation within a practical environment;
- Demonstrate high standards of ICT competence in both teaching & learning and develop these as technologies change.
- Regularly assess, through verbal and written means, students’ work in accordance with the School’s and Department’s policies;
- Work with full regard to the Health and Safety requirements of Science;
- Ensure the smooth running of internal and external controlled assessments;
- Ensure that Departmental records and information are regularly updated and keep informative records of students’ progress;
- In partnership with other members of the Department, assist with Information Evenings for parents, and attend Departmental meetings or any other meetings as deemed appropriate
- Help keep knowledge and understanding relevant and up-to-date by reflecting on your own practice, liaising with school leaders, and identifying relevant professional development to improve personal effectiveness
- Take opportunities to build the appropriate skills, qualifications, and/or experience needed for the role, with support from the school
- Other Responsibilities
- Comply with and assist with the development of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Be aware of and comply with all school policies and procedures
- Be aware of and support difference and ensure equal opportunities for all
- Contribute to the overall ethos and aims of the School and Trust
- Appreciate and support the role of other professionals
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings, training and learning activities as required
The postholder may be required to carry out any other duties that are commensurate with the post. Whilst every effort is made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post each individual task undertaken may not be identified.
This job description is subject to review, in negotiation with the post holder at any time. However, an annual review of this job description and allocation of responsibilities will take place as part of agreed performance management arrangements.
This job post has expired.