Teacher, Suitable for NQTs
Design and technology
£25,714 - £41,604 per annum
Shireland is an outstanding Academy based in Smethwick in the West Midlands, with a national and international reputation for the use of technology to enhance learning.
In our 2013 inspection Ofsted said:
• This is an exceptional academy, which has maintained and built upon the very high standards seen at the last inspection.
• Students, staff and parents are, quite rightly, proud to be associated with this academy. As one student said, ‘I feel privileged to be a student here.’
• Teaching is outstanding. Lessons are planned extremely well to make sure they are demanding, exciting and get the most out of all groups of students.
• The behaviour of students in lessons and around the academy is impeccable. They are keen, lively, questioning and enthusiastic learners who greatly enjoy and appreciate all the academy has to offer.
• Staff are highly ambitious for students and fervent in their aim to get the best from each one, academically and personally.
• The sixth form is outstanding and displays similar high qualities to the rest of the academy.
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic, creative and skilled teacher of Product Design who can inspire our students within our award-winning department. The department is a core subject at GCSE and is the most popular option opted for at A level with over 80 studying Product Design at A level from September 2021 onwards. The department is the highest performing subject in the school achieving outstanding GCSE and A level results. The department is well resourced in all areas, constantly developing and adapting to new technologies.
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching KS3, KS4 and A Level Product Design. Knowledge and experience of teaching GCSE and A Level Product Design will be an advantage.
We are a design centered department and aim to deliver student centered projects that reflect students developing creativity. Students enjoy making real, functioning products from a wide range of materials including woods, metals, plastics and compliant materials too. It is therefore essential that applicants can demonstrate high level practical skills to facilitate pupils learning in this area in addition to having creative design skills. The successful candidate must also be proficient in the use and application of 2D Design, CAD, demonstrate good understanding of CADCAM, use of laser cutters, 3D printers and various CNC machines.
The department has recently been awarded the new DATA Design Mark in recognition of the high-quality education provided. We have outstanding facilities including multiple CNC Trend Routers, CNC lathes, Metal Lathes, Wood Lathes, 3D printers of an industrial standard, and multiple laser cutters, as well as a broad range of the usual facilities across 4 workshops, a CNC room, and a design studio.
Student attain highly in this subject at all levels and require the commitment of their teacher to support their learning in lessons and through extracurricular involvement as appropriate.
The position is open to highly skilled newly qualified and experienced teachers alike. We invite you to arrange to visit our school and department ahead of making your application.
The Collegiate Academy Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Closing date: 8.00 am 7th May 2021
Applications are available from our website:
Working for Us - Shireland Collegiate Academy Trust (shirelandcat.org.uk)
Form an informal discussion please contact our HR Director Melanie Adams on
0121 565 8811
SHIRELAND COLLEGIATE ACADEMY
Waterloo Road, Smethwick, West Midlands, B66 4ND
Tel. 0121 558 8086
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.