Teacher of English - Full Time and Permanent (Part time would be considered)
TEACHER OF ENGLISH
To provide high quality teaching and support to all assigned groups in order to promote effective learning and high levels of achievement.
Responsible to: Head of English
• To ensure all students achieve at or above their expected progress levels
• To promote a positive attitude to learning
• To undertake the role of tutor including monitoring all aspects of tutees’ learning, attendance and development and maintaining close liaisons with parents and the pastoral team
• To contribute to the overall development of the school
• To implement school policies
• To develop a stimulating learning environment
• To work with all staff to develop the curriculum to meet the needs of all students including their moral, spiritual, cultural, social, intellectual and physical development.
• To ensure that appropriate student tests and assessments are undertaken and to disseminate the results to other staff.
• To use data to track student progress, identify underachievement and undertake appropriate action
• To liaise with other staff as appropriate.
• To teach other subjects as required.
• To undertake appropriate training
• To disseminate information and training to other staff as appropriate
• To participate in performance management arrangements as required.
• To support the aims and values of the school and to ensure students meet the school’s expectations as set out in codes of conduct and uniform regulations
• To liaise with parents regarding student needs and progress
• To liaise with outside agencies as appropriate
• To support extra curricular activities and school events as appropriate
Scope for impact
This post offers the opportunity to contribute to the development of a very successful learning area. The postholder will have the opportunity to work closely with the Head of English to help shape the policies, working practices and curriculum in order to promote excellence and achievement for all now and in the future.
This job description only contains the main accountabilities relating to this post and does not describe in detail all the tasks required to carry them out. All staff are expected to be flexible to ensure the most effective organisation and delivery of learning.
General tasks are varied from time to time, to take into account the changing nature of the school and the demands made upon it. Such changes are a normal part of the post and, as such, do not constitute a change to the general job description.
This job description should be read in conjunction with the latest School Teacher Pay and Conditions documents.
Specific Tasks and Targets
These are negotiated and reviewed annually.
All staff have a responsibility for their own health and safety and for that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions. Staff are required to adhere to all health & safety regulations, guidance and procedures at all times.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS clearance will be required.
Essential educational requirements
Good Honours Degree or equivalent
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
Understanding of effective teaching and learning and how to )promote them.
Experience in a mixed comprehensive school (teaching practice acceptable.
Familiar with the range of courses for English.
Experienced in teaching Key Stage Three students.
Experienced in teaching Key Stage Five students.
Willingness to contribute to and support school events.
Ability to inspire children to achieve beyond their own expectations.
Keen to develop excellence in English Department.
About Abbeyfield School
- Stanley Lane, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15 3XB
- LA Maintained School
- Abbeyfield School website (opens in a new window)