Teacher of English
The School is looking to appoint a well-qualified, excellent classroom practitioner to lead, manage and develop the provision of English within the school and to ensure appropriate monitoring, analysis and evaluation. The successful applicant will be expected to work with the Head of Department to lead the department’s strategic and operational development. We welcome applications from teachers at any stage of their teaching career, including NQTs.
The successful candidate should be a teacher of imagination and commitment, able to teach English to GCSE Level and keen to work with pupils of all abilities in a well-resourced and modern department. We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic individual who is keen to take advantage of our teacher development programmes and further enhance pupil progress.
Essential educational requirements
Qualification to the equivalent of degree level in a relevant subject (English).
Essential skills and experience
• Knowledge and understanding of English at KS3 and KS4, and of strategies that improve understanding.
• Good classroom practitioner with evidence of setting appropriate expectations to advance learning and engage and motivate students.
• Ability to encourage and maintain a good standard of discipline in the classroom through well focused teaching, positive relationships and good classroom management.
• Ability to use appropriately a range of teaching and learning strategies for whole classes, individuals and groups which stimulate, challenge, engage and motivate students.
• Ability to set clear and appropriate targets, feedback to students and make use of assessment information to promote each student’s attainment and progress, and to plan future lessons.
• Ability to reflect on own practice.
• Ability to differentiate tasks appropriately.
About Selly Park Girls' School
Selly Park Girls’ School is a high performing 11-16 school in the south of Birmingham with 700 girls on roll and a proven record of GCSE success. In 2018, the school were awarded Secondary School of the Year at the Birmingham School Awards and were winners of the SSAT Educational Outcomes Award 2018 for exceptional student progress. We are a school where we put students at the centre. We want every student to be kind to others, aspirational and ambitious in what they can achieve. We want to ensure that our students can reach their potential in a supportive, inclusive and nurturing environment. This is reflected in our four pillars school ethos. We attract staff who are committed to making a difference in the lives of our pupils. From teachers, governors and senior leaders to administrators and support staff. Everyone has a role to play in the success of the school.
- 5 Selly Park Road, Birmingham, West Midlands, B29 7PH
- LA Maintained School
- Selly Park Girls' School website (opens in a new window)