Teacher of English (suitable for NQT)
We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious teacher of English to join our existing, high-performing and passionate team. We are committed to ensuring all students continue to achieve beyond their potential. This is an incredibly exciting opportunity to join a department dedicated to improving outcomes, aspirations and life chances of young people.
As an English department, we have gone from strength to strength in recent years and we are proud of our innovative, challenging and nurturing approach to educating the future generations. Our English curriculum is designed with one thing in mind – what will help our young adults the most throughout life? We begin our curriculum with an emphasis on the language of life (a theme that continues through to the end of year 11) and we then explore the ideas of human nature and modern life through our carefully selected texts.
As a department, we are keen to research new developments in educational pedagogy and how to embed this into our own practice in order to ensure that our students get the most out of their time at Leeds West.
Classroom Teachers - Expectations of all Academy staff:
• Teach across the age range of KS3 and KS4 to all abilities
• Ensure teaching and learning in the classroom maximises the potential of all students
• To be accountable for the progress of pupils taught as a subject teacher.
• Contribute to the development and delivery of an innovative and engaging English curriculum
• Be dedicated to personal continued professional development
• To share and support the school’s responsibility to provide opportunities for personal and academic growth.
Leeds West Academy is a school with a remarkable sense of community which has created a strong and safe culture, where staff and students can thrive. We were judged as ‘Good’ by Ofsted in May 2019 because teaching is strong, the support we provide for our students and staff is unrivalled and because our results have improved year-on-year since 2016. This year, our students secured the best results in the school’s history. In short, there is no better time to join Leeds West Academy, as a colleague, a leader or as a student.
Leeds West Academy is a fabulous place to work, benefitting from world-class facilities and is accommodated in a £30 million building, which opened in late 2011. We are caring and supportive and, as part of the White Rose Academies Trust and ground-breaking Luminate Education Group, we benefit from exceptional CPD like no other in the City. A broad, varied and highly bespoke package is well-established, driven by the latest in educational research focused on the development of all professionals in the organisation at each career stage. Colleagues train with us, they grow with us and they progress with us.
Part of The White Rose Academies Trust - the most rapidly improved family of schools in the region - Leeds West Academy is accelerating on a thrilling journey, which will ultimately see the school, its staff and its students, secure an Ofsted rating of outstanding.
We're securing our vision for Outstanding by growing our family of exceptional education professionals; dedicated specialists and passionate leaders with the shared goal of transforming future prospects for the next generation in West Yorkshire.
We provide exceptional life training; harnessing the skills and fortifying the aspirations of young people, who we know will transform the region and provide a positive, progressive contribution to society.
The White Rose Academies Trust is a local Trust dedicated to raising and fulfilling the ambitions of young people. Our academies throughout Leeds are at the heart of the communities they serve, which is why we are committed to delivering an outstanding education to every one of our students.
The Trust employs almost 400 outstanding professionals who are committed to unlocking the potential of the next generation.
Essential educational requirements
• Degree in English or a closely related relevant subject
• PGCE or equivalent – the post is suitable for NQT candidates
Essential skills and experience
• Recent, relevant classroom practice
• Evidence of working with young people effectively
• Successful contributions to team work
• Teach to a high standard across all key stages
• Knowledge, understanding & commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion informed by practical experience and application
• Knowledge, understanding & commitment to safeguarding & promoting the welfare of students
• Good all round ICT skills
• Be able to reach a consistently good standard of teaching
• Ability to use progress data of students to benchmark, track & raise attainment of students for whom responsible
• Good working knowledge of assessment for learning approaches & their classroom application
• Possess strong interpersonal skills & be able to work effectively as part of a team
• To promote equality, diversity & inclusion & demonstrate this within the role.
• Ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with students
Staff at all levels feel well developed by both our departmental and whole school CPD programmes, including the partnership working we have with Leeds Learning Partnership and The Prince’s Teaching Institute.
We benefit hugely from our sponsor, Leeds City College which, along with the White Rose Academies Trust, is part of the Luminate Education Group. Other members of the group include Leeds College of Music, Keighley College and Harrogate College. Our sponsor provides leadership and operational support and advice to all our academies. They also share our vision of creating a truly outstanding Trust.
About Leeds West Academy
- Intake Lane, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS13 1DQ
- Leeds West Academy website (opens in a new window)