Teacher of English
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, Sompting, West Sussex
|Job role||Teacher, Suitable for NQTs|
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1 to Upper pay range 3, £24,373 to £40,490|
An opportunity has arisen, from September 2020, for an energetic and enthusiastic practitioner with thorough subject knowledge, to join us and the English department to continue to raise achievement in English. This is an incredible opportunity to join an excellent team who are very excited about the future outcomes of their students. QTS is essential and we welcome applications from NQTs.
The English department has achieved good results over the past four years with 68% of GCSE students achieving a pass in 2019 and 69% of students achieving grades A* to B in A Level English Literature.
The English department is committed to meeting the needs of all students by challenging them to achieve their potential. They are a dynamic team with a strong shared purpose and commitment. The development of innovative classroom approaches and the embracing of new technologies means they have taken a leading role in shaping teaching and learning across the school.
The Accelerated Reader programme was introduced in September 2013 and continues to be a successful tool in developing a reading culture at Key Stage 3.
The Curriculum has been designed to ensure that it is sufficiently challenging and engaging,and students study a diverse range of texts including dystopian short stories; Romantic poetry and Shakespeare's Twelfth Night at KS3, We encourage our students to take their English skills outside of the classroom by offering opportunities to attend creative writing, public speaking, debate and book clubs as well as launching a school newspaper this year.
The English department is housed in our modern building with technology in every classroom. At the heart of the Academy is the Learning Resource Centre, which is an accessible resource for all students and staff as we grow a love of reading in the student body.
Quotes from last Ofsted report, Feb 2018:
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in September 2019 for SRWA revealed that:
These were some of the areas Staff considered to be ‘outstanding’:
Opportunity for staff to offer ideas
Opportunities for staff professional development
Support from line managers,
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution,
Induction of new staff
Students' respect for staff/others.
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy is a lively, fast-paced, passionate, demanding yet rewarding place to work. If you want to work with a team of people who love what they do and are prepared to go the extra mile in order to achieve results, and you want to work near Brighton, with all its rich cultural opportunities, then this may be the place for you.
The successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good teacher
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning
• make effective use of their time
• secure high standards of behaviour from students
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 11-18 students (or of successful completion of initial teacher training if applying as an NQT).
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
The Trust is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
• proven student progress;
• excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• an established STEM group including work with RICARDO Engineering, a world leading company supporting Mathematics at SRWA;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• childcare voucher scheme;
• cycle to work scheme.
|School type||Academy, Christian|
|School size||974 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|Website||The Sir Robert Woodard Academy website (opens in a new window)|
About The Sir Robert Woodard Academy
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a thriving 11–18 Academy on the South Coast of England, serving primarily the students of Lancing, Sompting and West Shoreham in West Sussex. We are committed to ensuring that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential.
Upper Boundstone Lane, Sompting, West Sussex, BN15 9QZ