For an experienced or newly qualified English enthusiast. You must be deeply passionate about
language and literature to join this high performing team.
Unsworth Academy is a thriving, oversubscribed, co-educational and non- selective Bury high school.
The school is on an incredibly exciting journey of school improvement and when lasted inspected in
November 2019 was judged to be Good in all areas. We are now currently halfway through our three
year “Good to Outstanding” journey. One highlight of the journey has been digitalisation. All our
students and staff have a school iPad that they utilise in and out of lessons. The Academy Principal,
Senior Leadership Team, Academy Councillors and staff are unreservedly committed to securing
outstanding in all areas of school life and the best possible outcomes and life chances for all our
The successful candidate will complete our English department of 8 colleagues. Leadership of the
department is very strong. Our structure includes a Head of Department, a Second in Department
and a Lead Practitioner, who collaborate very effectively to drive provision forwards. Our English
curriculum is well sequenced and is complimented regularly by enhancement activities such as
theatre visits and writing workshops.
We are seeking to appoint a
highly motivated Teacher of English join our Team.
The successful candidate will be
• Enthusiastic, passionate, creative, flexible and innovative with the drive and determination
to successfully contribute to whole school improvement
• A dedicated team player who develops excellent relationships with learners and colleagues
• A professional who communicates clear expectations, leads by example and promotes at all
times positive behaviour for learning
• Willing to fully support and at all times uphold the policies and positive ethos of the school
• Willing to participate in personal continued professional development
The Shaw Education Trust offer the following benefits with your employment:
• An excellent Local Government Pension Scheme / Teachers Pension
• Generous holiday entitlement from your first day of employment (28 days holiday rising to
30 days after 5 years’ service + Paid Bank Holidays)
• Access to health and wellbeing support via Occupational Health
• Cycle to work scheme
• Access to our Institute of Education and fantastic opportunities to help you grow, contribute
and flourish in your role and in the Trust.
Unsworth Academy is dedicated to the safeguarding and wellbeing of students; all staff must share
this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to undergo appropriate screening
including Enhanced DBS check.
If you're interested in teaching or training to teach in England as an international citizen, we can help you understand your next steps