About the Role
We are looking for an inspirational teacher who is passionate about their subject and keen to impart their knowledge, skill and understanding to all our students. The post holder will teach across the range of Key Stage Three and Four.
The English department is led by a truly dedicated Head of Department who has great ambition for English at Oakbank and is looking for a talented teacher of the subject to help her vision become a reality.
Oakbank school is a thriving school and, although is smaller than many secondary schools, offers a wide range of CPD, training and development opportunities to our staff. This role would suit both an experienced teacher of English or someone taking their first steps into teaching the subject.
- To fulfil the professional responsibilities of a teacher, as set out in the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document
- To meet the expectations set out in the Teachers’ Standards
- To be responsible for the learning and achievement of all students in the allocated classes
- To promote good progress and outcomes by all students
- To lead the literacy strategy across the school which includes running reading tests and interventions for reading literacy and oracy
Main duties and responsibilities
Teaching & Learning
- To plan and prepare well-structured lessons and sequences of lessons
- Promote good progress and outcomes by students
- Set high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge students
- Set work to be carried out by students in school and elsewhere
- Mark student’s work in a timely manner, in line with school marking policy
- Assess, monitor, record and report on the learning needs, progress, and achievements of assigned students
- Maintain and demonstrate good, up to date subject and curriculum knowledge
- Promote high standards of literacy and numeracy regardless of specialist subject
- Control and oversee the use of books and other resources provided for student usage
- Accurately register the attendance of students in your allocated classes
- Deploy resources effectively
- Develop, implement and monitor the impact of the whole school literacy strategy
Whole school organisation, strategy, and development
- Contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the school’s and trust’s policies, practices, and procedures, so as to support the school’s and trust’s values and vision
- Make a positive contribution to the wider life of the school
- Work with others on curriculum and/or student development to secure co-ordinated outcomes
- Cover for absent colleagues, in accordance with school cover policy, when the person timetabled is unable to teach
Health, safety, and discipline
- Promote the safety and well-being of students
- Maintain good order and discipline among students, managing behaviour effectively and in accordance with the school behaviour policy
This job description will be supported by the school improvement plan which may identify key distinct tasks and responsibilities for this role in the school year. These will be derived from ongoing school self-evaluation and other local/national priorities. The Postholder’s duties must be carried out in compliance with the school’s policies and procedures including child protection and safeguarding procedures.
These duties and responsibilities should be regarded as neither exhaustive nor exclusive as the post holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities commensurate with the grading of the post.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and require all staff and volunteers to share and demonstrate this commitment. The successful candidate will have to meet the requirements of the person specification and will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks which will, where applicable, include a health check, an enhanced DBS check, the Children’s Barred List check and satisfactory references.
If you're interested in teaching or training to teach in England as an international citizen, we can help you understand your next steps
This school accepts applications through their own website, where you may also find more information about this job.
Visas cannot be sponsored.