Teacher of Maths
To be an effective teacher (and tutor) who supports and challenges all students to achieve their full potential
Part time permanent role
1. You are required to carry out the duties as set out in the relevant paragraphs of the current School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions document. The post requires you to teach pupils in the age range 11 to 19 and with others outside that age range as required for transition and outreach work.
In carrying out these duties you will need to work in compliance with all Academy policies and procedures as set out by the Trust and Governing Body and the reasonable direction from colleagues with the relevant position of responsibility.
You will have the role of Form Tutor, even when a form has not been assigned to you, and may be asked to carry out some or all of those duties if required.
In addition you will continuously evaluate and review your role and propose improvements to this Job Description in the light of experience as part of the performance management process. You will also be required to carry out any other additional duties as might reasonable required by the Principal.
2. To maintain a thorough and up to date knowledge of the teaching of your subject(s) and take account of wider curriculum developments which are relevant to your work.
3. To plan lessons/activities/tutorials and sequences of lessons to meet students’ individual learning needs
4. To use a range of appropriate strategies and follow Academy policies for teaching/tutoring, behaviour management and classroom management
5. To do all that you can to ensure that you safeguard and promote the welfare of students in the Academy
6. To set well-grounded consistent expectations for students in your teaching and tutorial groups using information about prior attainment
7. To assess, monitor and record the progress of students in your teaching (and tutorial groups) and give them clear and constructive feedback
8. To do all you can to ensure that, as a result of your teaching (and tutoring), your students achieve well relative to their prior attainment, making progress as good as or better than similar students nationally and in the Academy
9. To take responsibility for your own professional development and use the outcomes to improve your teaching (and tutoring) and your students’ learning
10. To make an active contribution to the policies, aspirations and plans of your Department and the Academy.
Essential educational requirements
A good degree in a specialist subject teaching qualification
Nationally recognized teaching qualification
Essential skills and experience
The skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to teach across Key Stages 3-4 (possibility of KS5)
A very good classroom teacher, demonstrating ability to innovate
Understanding of current curriculum issues in relation to teaching subject/s
Able to show evidence of the use of technology in teaching and learning
Access to Teachers’ Pension Scheme
About Humberston Academy
At Humberston Academy we are proud to be a leading education provider in our local community. We seek to broaden the horizons of each and every one of our students, helping them to achieve at the highest level both academically and within their talents outside the classroom, upholding our vision of Excellence for All. We understand that every student needs a strong academic foundation in order to achieve their full potential. At our Academy we combine an innovative curriculum with a strong house structure, which ensures that students receive all the support and guidance they need to succeed. At Humberston the values of respect and good behaviour are instilled from the outset and high attendance is a priority. Ensuring that students leave the Academy as young people that the whole community can be proud of, is a crucial part of our educational offer. Over the last few years Humberston Academy has continued to strengthen and develop but we do not rest on our previous successes. We are proud of the significant investment that has been made in our buildings and environment and the impact that this is having on our students. The Academy, a member of the David Ross Education Trust, became the first in North East Lincolnshire to be designated “outstanding” under Ofsted’s stricter guidelines. Our focus is on first class teaching and recruiting outstanding practitioners. Quality teachers are the people who inspire our students to great things. Another year of excellent results 2018. A total of 84% of students at Humberston Academy achieved 4 to 9 in GCSE Maths this summer. In English, the figure was 88%. 82% of students achieved above grade 4 in the combine Maths and English measure. These results once again confirms our place among the top-performing schools in the area. We are an outstanding Academy and proud of our exceptionally high standards. But it is not all about academic achievement. We are a growing oversubscribed, hard-working Academy, with a positive, business-like and purposeful atmosphere where students can develop and broaden their horizons.
- Humberston Avenue, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN36 4TF
- Humberston Academy website (opens in a new window)