Teacher of Maths
Job Title: Teacher of Mathematics
Reports to: Head of department
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Academy Trust Scale, dependent on skills and experience
Mathematics at Saltley Academy
All pupils in years 7 to 11 have nine Mathematics lessons over a two week timetable, demonstrating the school’s commitment to this core subject. The department utilises the technology available such as Ipads and laptops to inspire pupils and demonstrate concepts in innovative ways. A full programme of Mathematics support and challenge is offered through the school’s Targeted Academic Support Programme at Key Stage 4. We also have dedicated members of staff who support in the Mathematics department in their roles as Mentors and Lead Practitioners. The Mathematics department has eleven dedicated classrooms and have their own staff base and is managed by this Head of Department role, with a Ks4 and Ks3 coordinators supporting on a day to day basis.
The Teacher of Mathematics at Saltley Academy will:
● Create a happy, secure and stimulating learning environment
● Have sympathetic understanding of every child’s needs
● Have clear aims and objectives for every lesson and communicate them to the pupils
● Have well planned work, imaginatively introduced which caters for all pupils’ needs
● Utilise ICT to enhance the quality and variety of teaching and to support pupils in applying this key tool in their own learning
● Engage in continuous formative and summative assessment, tracking progress of pupils in line with school systems and provide guidance to pupils on next steps in their learning
● Use data effectively to inform future teaching and learning
● Maintain pupil records and report progress to parents, guardians and carers
● Secure high standards of behaviour in line with the school’s Code of Conduct and Behaviour Policy
● Share their talents, skills, ideas and enthusiasms for the benefit of the whole school and be ready to accept responsibilities that extend beyond the classroom
● Complete the requirements of the school’s performance management process
● Attend to personal professional development to keep abreast of national, local and school initiatives and best practice
All teachers at Saltley Academy will:
● Deliver extra-curricular activities
● Partake in activities aimed at promoting the school, including, but not limited to, open evenings, visits to primary schools, colleges and community events
● Carry out other tasks commensurate with their position, as directed by the Senior Leadership Team
The school welcomes teachers of a high professional standard and shares the responsibility with each teacher for continual review and the development of expertise.
All teachers make a valuable contribution to the school’s development and, therefore, to the progress of all pupils.
Teachers on the upper levels of the Academy Trust pay scale will be expected to make a wider contribution to the school.
In particular, teachers at the upper levels will:
● be role models for professional practice in the school
● be expected to mentor teachers in training
● make a distinctive contribution compared with other teachers
● contribute effectively to the wider team.
Essential educational requirements
● Education to degree level
● GCSE Maths and English (grade A*-C) or equivalent
● Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
Essential skills and experience
● Outstanding subject knowledge
● Knowledge and application of Assessment for Learning (AfL)
● Recent experience of successful teaching, leading to high achievement for pupils of all abilities
● Thorough knowledge of current subject requirements related to the National Curriculum and Examination requirements (GCSEs)
● Experience of the collection, analysis, and use of data to inform the planning and delivery of teaching and learning
● Ability to motivate, inspire and support all pupils to achieve and succeed
● Ability to reflect and develop your practice for the benefits of all learners
● Ability to work collaboratively
● Able to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences
● Commitment to Saltley Academy’s core values and ethos.
• are committed to continuous improvement
• offer an excellent induction programme within a friendly and supportive environment
• offer a whole range of opportunities to further develop colleagues’ teaching skills and leadership potential
• are creative and innovative in our approach to all aspects of school life
• have motivated, vibrant, multi-ethnic students and staff
• have a strong family ethos where individuals are respected and valued
• are well resourced and ICT rich
• are part of the WHA Trust that provides numerous professional development opportunities, on-site parking and Perkbox benefits, which include discounted restaurants and free mobile phone insurance.
About Saltley Academy
- Belchers Lane, Birmingham, West Midlands, B9 5RX
- Saltley Academy website (opens in a new window)