September 2022 saw further student growth for The Sir Robert Woodard Academy and we expect further growth in the next few years. As such, we have some exciting new vacancies available, including the need for a Teacher of MFL (Spanish and French) to join our MFL team on a permanent and full time basis from November 2022. QTS essential and ECTs are welcome to apply.
We are looking for a talented linguist with a passion for their subject who is able to inspire in our students a love of language learning. At The Sir Robert Woodard Academy we value languages as a key part of our broad and balanced ‘Aspire to Achieve’ curriculum. GCSE uptake of languages is high at SRWA and, currently, 76% of our students continue with either French or Spanish. The successful applicant will be joining our talented and driven MFL team who are seeing results improve year on year. Summer 2022 saw a 100% pass rate for higher candidates. Multiple students are going on to study languages at universities, including Oxford. The ability to teach across KS3 and KS4 is essential, the ability to teach at KS5 would be a desirable addition.
The MFL department is housed in our modern main building and benefits from spacious and bright classrooms. The department also has access to a range of ICT based resources to blend with more traditional methods to enthuse a love of languages. The MFL team are dynamic, passionate and committed to meeting the needs of all students by challenging them to achieve their potential. Our past KS3 day trips have been hugely successful and we will be expanding the trips offer to include longer trips to both France and Spain in Summer 2023.
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
• proven student progress and excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• an established STEM group including work with RICARDO Engineering, a world leading company supporting SRWA;
• employee assistance programme, dedicated staff wellbeing space and 1-1 mental health booster sessions available;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last full Ofsted inspection report, October 2021: Rating of “Good” in all areas:
“The culture at this school is summed up by its motto, ‘Aspire to Achieve’. From Year 7 through to the sixth form, pupils learn to think ambitiously about their futures.”
"The school is a calm and orderly place for pupils to learn….Pupils treat each other with respect … low-level disruption is rare."
"Pupils, parents and carers feel proud of their school…one parent told us ‘we are really impressed with the school, the ethos and the staff’.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in June 2022 for SRWA revealed that these were some of the areas our staff considers ‘outstanding’: Staff morale/Opportunity for staff to offer ideas and for professional development/Appreciation of staff achievement and contribution.
The successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good teacher
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning
• make effective use of their time
• secure high standards of behaviour from students
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 11-18 students (or of successful training for ECTs).
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a positive difference to the life experiences and achievements of our students.
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
The Academy is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
This job post has expired.