Teacher of Science
Manor Community Academy, Hartlepool, Teesside
|Job role||Suitable for NQTs|
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1 to Upper pay range 3, £24,373 to £40,490|
1. Teaching the students assigned to you according to their educational needs, including the setting and marking of work to be carried out by the students in the academy or elsewhere.
2. Assessing, recording and reporting on the development, progress and attainment of all students.
3. Consistently applying the academy’s behaviour policy at all times;
4. Promoting the general progress and well-being of individual students and of any class or group of students assigned to him/her;
5. Providing guidance and advice to students on educational and social matters and on their further education and future careers, including information about sources of more expert advice on specific questions;
6. Completing the academy’s tracking systems;
7. Making records of and reporting on the personal and social needs of students;
8. Communicating and consulting with the parents of students;
9. Communicating and co-operating with relevant persons or bodies outside the academy;
10. Participating in meetings arranged for any of the purposes described above.
11. Participating in arrangements within the academy’s policy for Performance Management.
12. Reviewing from time to time his/her methods of teaching and programmes of work.
13. Participating in arrangements for his/her further training and professional development as a teacher and manager.
14. Advising and co-operating with the Principal, Subject Directors, Head of Department and other teachers (or any one or more of them) on the preparation and development of courses of study, for all students, appropriate teaching materials, schemes of work, methods of teaching and assessment and pastoral arrangements;
15. Responding to the Code of Practice for Special Educational Needs, in accordance with the academy’s policy.
16. Maintaining good order and discipline among the students and safeguarding their health and safety both when they are authorised to be on the academy premises and when they are engaged in authorised Academy activities elsewhere;
17. Ensuring that the Academy’s Child Safeguarding Policy is followed where there may be a concern;
18. Ensuring that personal knowledge of the academy’s health and safety policy is updated and the practices are in accordance with it.
19. Participating in meetings at the academy as required.
20. Participating in arrangements for preparing students for public examinations and in assessing students for the purposes of such examinations.
21. Recording and reporting such assessments;
22. Participating in arrangements for students’ presentation for and supervision during such examinations.
23. Contributing to the selection for appointment, induction and personal development of all staff;
24. Co-ordinating or managing the work of supporting staff or volunteers.
25. Taking such part as may be required of him/her in the review, development and management of activities relating to the curriculum, organisation and pastoral functions of the academy and Performance Management of staff as directed by the Principal.
26. Participating in administrative and organisational tasks related to such duties as described above, including the management or supervision of persons, providing support for the teachers in the academy and the ordering and allocation of equipment and materials;
27. Attending assemblies, registering the attendance of students and supervising students, whether these duties are to be performed before, during or after Academy sessions.
28. Support the Head of Department to ensure teachers in your subject area consistently deliver good or better lessons and maintain positive learning environments.
29. Support the Head of Department in implementing the long term vision.
30. Plan schemes of learning and lessons for department at Key Stage Three, Four and Five which are engaging and relevant to students’ needs and interests.
31. Develop new innovative approaches for learning utilising ICT and new resources.
32. Track and monitor student performance across your area of responsibility.
33. Ensure marking is regularly carried out in your area in accordance with academy marking policy and use assessment for learning to regularly share levels of achievement with students and parents
34. Report regularly to your line manager on current performance and develop intervention strategies to continually improve performance and achieve outstanding results.
35. Support and promote the professional development of teachers, providing training, mentoring and coaching where appropriate.
36. Maintain the highest standards of professionalism and consistently apply academy systems
37. Adhering to Academy and Trust policies and procedures.
Essential educational requirements
1 Experience of teaching, learning and assessment to at least KS3/4
2 A good understanding of curriculum developments in Science
1 A honours degree
2 A teaching qualification together with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
Essential skills and experience
1 Able to use a range of teaching and learning strategies
2 Commitment to high standards in all aspects of the academy’s work
3 An understanding of how Assessment for Learning can improve student performance and how to embed this within your department
4 Confidence in the use of standard computer packages and how these can be used to enhance student learning
5 Able to use student level data to raise standards
6 Enthusiasm for your subject
7 Creative problem solving together with willingness to take on and develop and try new approaches and ideas
8 Ability to relate to students in a pleasant and sympathetic manner and to recognise potential safeguarding issues
9 Able to communicate both orally and in writing to students and their parents
10 Pleasant and friendly manner
11 Polite and punctual
13 A commitment to working as part of the whole Academy team and supporting the vision and aims of the Academy.
|School size||1060 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 16|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|Website||Manor Community Academy website (opens in a new window)|
Owton Manor Lane, Hartlepool, Teesside, TS25 3PS