This job expired on 28 January 2022 – see similar jobs
Expected start date
25 April 2022
28 January 2022 at 12:00pm
13 January 2022
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- School size
- 1520 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- Contact email
- Contact phone number
About Katharine Lady Berkeley's School
The School was founded by Katharine, wife of Thomas, Lord Berkeley in 1384 on October 20th. The Foundation Deed reads:-
"We the said Kitherina (Katharine), attentively considering that the purposes of man desiring to be informed in grammar which is the foundation of all liberal arts, is daily defeated and frustrated by poverty and want of means; therefore for the maintenance and exaltation of Holy Mother Church, and the increase of divine worship, and other liberal arts and sciences, out of the goods bestowed on us by God have procured the said Walter and Williams to acquire certain lands and tenements in fee, that they may build (re-build?) a school-house in Wotton for the habitation and likewise dispose of them for the maintenance of a master and 2 poor scholars of the art of grammar; which master and his successors shall govern and inform all scholars coming to the same house or school coming for instruction in this art without taking anything for his trouble from them or any of them."
The Deed was sealed with Katharine's personal seal which showed St John holding a lamb and has the Latin inscription "Sigilla domus scolari de Woton sub ege". (The seal of the School House of Wotton-under-Edge). This seal is stamped on our prizes and also in special badges which are worn by some members of the school. The crest on the blazers is the Berkeley coat-of-arms.
The old school buildings in School Lane, Wotton-under-Edge, were erected in 1726 to which there were various additions later. Shortly after the school had become co-educational, Church Mill was bought in 1908. After the World War of 1939 -1945, Carlton House was rented from the Post Office.
In 1961, the erection of a new building for 350 students in the Kingswood Road, was started, and in January 1963 the school vacated the premises in Wotton and moved into the new buildings.
The erection of the first phase of extensions to the Kingswood Road buildings began in March 1972, and were completed for the start of the Autumn Term 1973, when Katharine Lady Berkeley's re-opened as a comprehensive school for 830 students following the closure of Wotton Secondary School at the end of August 1973.
In July 1974, the second phase of extensions to the building were started and were completed by September 1975.
Since that time, there has been a range of new buildings and extensions in order to accommodate the increasing number of students which is now over 1,450 – very different from the school roll 630 years ago.
Since becoming a comprehensive school in 1973 there have been many curricular developments including becoming a specialist school for languages in 1996. Even though the additional funding provided for specialist schools has been withdrawn since 2010, we still have a rich languages provision which provides outstanding opportunities for our students to gain skills in foreign languages, to take part in visits overseas and to gain an appreciation of the cultures of other countries.
In 2011, the school converted to become an Academy. This means that the school continues to be state funded but it is independent from the local authority - the school is effectively a state funded independent school. This provides certain freedoms including, most importantly, the opportunity to purchase services which best match the needs of our particular students.
Almost all secondary schools in Gloucestershire have converted to Academy status but the relationship with the Local Authority and the sense of community and partnership between the schools, whether Academy or not, continues to be strong.
School locationKingswood Road, Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire, GL12 8RB
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed