Specific Areas of Responsibility and Key Tasks:
Core Duties as a Main Scale Teacher
Teaching and Learning and Assessment
· To teach Spanish across the age and ability range, and French at Key Stage 3.
· To develop schemes of learning and resources for MFL.
· To prepare students for external examinations and assessments as directed by the Director of Learning
· To undertake an appropriate programme of teaching in accordance with the duties of a main scale teacher
· To prepare and deliver lessons according to school/departmental schemes of work
· To mark and assess students’ work according to the school/departmental policies
· To attend and contribute to relevant meetings
· To play an active part in the long-term development of the Department
· To play a full part in the allocated Head of Year Team – including carrying out duties as a form tutor, if appropriate
· To play a full part in safeguarding students and contributing to their personal development and well-being
Set high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge students
· establish a safe and stimulating environment for students, rooted in mutual respect
· set goals that stretch and challenge students of all backgrounds, abilities and dispositions
· demonstrate consistently the positive attitudes, values and behaviour which are expected of students
Promote good progress and outcomes by students
· be accountable for students’ attainment, progress and outcomes
· be aware of students’ capabilities and their prior knowledge, and plan teaching to build on these
· guide students to reflect on the progress they have made and their emerging needs.
· demonstrate knowledge and understanding of how students learn and how this impacts on teaching
· encourage students to take a responsible and conscientious attitude to their own work and study.
Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge
· have a secure knowledge of the relevant subject(s) and curriculum areas, foster and maintain students’ interest in the subject, and address misunderstandings
· demonstrate a critical understanding of developments in the subject and curriculum areas, and promote the value of scholarship
· demonstrate an understanding of and take responsibility for promoting high standards of literacy, articulacy and the correct use of standard English, whatever the teacher’s specialist subject
Plan and teach well structured lessons
· impart knowledge and develop understanding through effective use of lesson time
· promote a love of learning and children’s intellectual curiosity
· set homework and plan other out-of-class activities to consolidate and extend the knowledge and understanding students have acquired
· reflect systematically on the effectiveness of lessons and approaches to teaching
· contribute to the design and provision of an engaging curriculum within the relevant subject area(s).
Adapt teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all students
· know when and how to differentiate appropriately, using approaches which enable students to be taught effectively
· have a secure understanding of how a range of factors can inhibit students’ ability to learn, and how best to overcome these
· demonstrate an awareness of the physical, social and intellectual development of children, and know how to adapt teaching to support students’ education at different stages of development
· have a clear understanding of the needs of all students, including those with special educational needs; those of high ability; those with English as an additional language; those with disabilities; and be able to use and evaluate distinctive teaching approaches to engage and support them.
Make accurate and productive use of assessment
· know and understand how to assess the relevant subject and curriculum areas, including statutory assessment requirements
· make use of formative and summative assessment to secure students’ progress
· use relevant data to monitor progress, set targets, and plan subsequent lessons
· give students regular feedback, both orally and through accurate marking, and encourage students to respond to the feedback.
Rugby Free Secondary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this and the below commitments.
- To ensure that all students have a safe environment in which they can learn, reporting any concern about the environment to a member of the site team or if appropriate to one of the Designated Safeguarding Leaders.
- To be aware of systems which support safeguarding and following the procedures as highlighted in the Safeguarding Policy
- To identify children who may benefit from early help as soon as possible and discuss this with one of the Designated Safeguarding Leaders
- To consider at all times what is in the best interests of the child
- To protect children from maltreatment; preventing impairment of children’s health or development; ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
- To take action to enable all children to have the best outcomes
- Checking of visitor identification, especially at the point of school entry and the issuing of relevant safeguarding information.
Generic Responsibilities of all Rugby Free Secondary School Staff
- To continue personal development as agreed
- To engage actively in the appraisal process
- To undertake any other duty as specified by the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document not mentioned in the above
- Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task to be undertaken may not be identified.
- Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description
- Employees are expected to adhere to the School’s agreed Code of Conduct and set an example of personal integrity and professionalism
- Ensure all tasks are carried out with due regard to Health and Safety
- To remain confidential at all times
- To adhere to the ethos of the school
- To promote the agreed vision and aims of the school
This job post has expired.