Leadership Scale (Outer London) L24 – L28 (currently £77,643 - £85,290)
Vice Principal (Curriculum, Teaching, Learning & Assessment)
Are you passionate about education and wish to ensure that all pupils have the opportunities to excel at school? Do you aspire to be a Headteacher in three to five years? If so, being the new Vice Principal – Curriculum, Teaching and Learning at Drapers’ Academy is the right career move for you.
In my time as Principal, two of our Vice Principals have secured their first Headship. This is something I and the governors are really proud of.
We secured our Good from Ofsted in March 2020. We now seek to appoint a Vice Principal with the relevant experience, calibre and mind-set to become part of a team that has an ambition to be Outstanding, and one of the best comprehensive schools in London. The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of all areas of school leadership and will have experience of leading significant school improvement.
As part of the team at Drapers’ Academy you can expect a supportive culture within a school which has high aspirations and is moving forward at pace. We are proud of the significant improvement we have achieved to date - this fantastic opportunity for an outstanding colleague to join our strong and effective leadership team means you can be part of this.
Applicants will have significant and relevant senior experience and qualifications and a proven track record of raising achievement. You will have the ability to lead professional staff who are dedicated to meeting the spiritual, academic and pastoral needs of pupils and students.
Specific responsibilities will be negotiated on appointment but it is anticipated that the successful candidate will:
Main Responsibilities to include:
• Leadership of our whole school curriculum, ensuring it delivers and meets the needs of all our pupils and students
• Lead on changes that strengthen our pedagogy to ensure our teachers are equipped with skills that ensure all our pupils and students maximise their achievement
• Ensuring a successful learning culture that enables all pupils and students to become effective, enthusiastic, independent learners
• Maintain quality assurance systems that support teaching and learning, working with the Assistant Vice Principal responsible for this area
• Lead whole school self-evaluation across the Academy.
• Strategic timetabling of the curriculum (subject to previous experience)
• Line management of key curriculum areas
• A teaching commitment (subject area to be discussed at interview)
Please see the SLT Roles and Responsibilities document and Vice Principal applicant pack for further detail.
The successful candidate will:
• challenge, inspire and motivate pupils and students to become life-long learners
• communicate effectively, listen to others, and build strong relationships with all staff
• work with data in order to provide clear messages and vision
• model best practice in the classroom and lead staff training to develop the practice of others
• keep up to date with educational changes and maintain an enthusiasm for continued improvement
• have emotional intelligence and a sense of humour, even when under pressure
Post Start Date: September 2021
Closing date for applications: 4.00pm Thursday 6th May
Candidates notified by: Friday 7th May
Interview dates: w/c Monday 10th May
Candidates will be shortlisted at the end of Day 1 and notified that evening if they have progressed to Day 2
If you would like to apply for this post please complete your application online at TESjobs.
• You will need to include a supporting statement as part of the online application
• Your supporting statement should be approximately two sides of A4
If you have any questions please contact Sue Lucey (Principal’s PA) by email email@example.com or telephone 01708 371331 ext 6103227.
References may be contacted as part of the initial shortlisting process.
Applicants are requested to read the information carefully, especially the job description and person specification (found on the following pages). Please ensure your application satisfies the criteria in the person specification and you display evidence of this in your formal letter of application.
You must complete the reference section with TWO referees.
Please note that:
• The first referee should normally be your present or most recent Headteacher or equivalent person.
• If you are not currently working with children, please provide a referee from your most recent employment involving children.
Referees will be asked about disciplinary offences relating to children, which may include any in which the penalty is “time expired” and whether you have been the subject of any child protection concerns, and if so, the outcome of any enquiry or disciplinary procedure. References will not be accepted from relatives or from people writing solely in the capacity of friends.
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.