Class Teacher for Special Needs School
Newark Orchard School, Newark, Nottinghamshire
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1 to Main pay range 6, £24,373 to £35,971|
The duties outlined in this job description are in addition to those covered by the latest School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document. It may be modified by the Head Teacher, with your agreement, to reflect or anticipate changes in the job, commensurate with the salary and job title.
• All teachers are responsible to the Head Teacher.
• All teachers are responsible for providing and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons s/he is responsible for, or comes into contact with.
• All teachers supervise and manage Teaching Assistants.
• All teachers supervise and manage students on placement.
• All teachers work in partnership with health and social service personnel.
• All teachers have a responsibility to be in school ten minutes before and after the school day.
• All teachers are expected to become conversant with Makaton signs, symbols and any other communication systems as deemed appropriate.
• All teachers will be expected to teach cross phase on both sites if required by timetable.
• All teachers will teach pupils within a specified age range as determined by the school’s needs in accordance with the professional duties of a teacher.
• All teachers will take an equitable share of whole school curriculum care and management responsibilities.
• All teachers will carry out duties in line with the key tasks and management procedures of the school.
Teaching and learning
1. Carry out teaching duties in accordance with the school's schemes of work and National Curriculum.
2. To plan appropriate curriculum experiences.
3. To work within the National Curriculum.
4. To work co-operatively with fellow staff.
5. Manage Teaching Assistant colleagues to deliver units of work in a collaborate way.
6. Work with fellow staff and interested professionals.
7. Monitor and set targets for student attainment levels.
8. To keep records of progress and experience.
9. Monitor and set work for students absent from school.
10. Monitor and demonstrate good practice in the classroom.
Assessing and Reporting
1. To monitor student progress within National Curriculum and P levels.
2. To be responsible for teacher assessment (appropriate to Key Stages - NC).
3. Record students' work.
4. To complete termly, annual and end of year reviews.
5. Maintain own lesson evaluations.
6. Mark and return work within agreed time span, providing feedback and targets.
7. Provide assessment reports and value added data and responses to monitor
8. To liaise with parents and those within parental responsibility and attend
9. Work within the Code of Practice relating to Special Educational Needs.
Standards and Quality Assurance
1. Support the aims and ethos of the school ensuring ‘Individual Growth for
2. Set a good example in terms of dress, punctuality and attendance.
3. Attend and participate in open evenings and student performances/activities.
4. Uphold the school's behaviour code and uniform regulations.
5. Participate in staff training.
6. Attend team and staff meetings.
7. To have due regard to matters pertaining to Health and Safety.
8. To promote the ethos of the school internally and externally.
9. To manage in the classroom and while on school journeys: Students and staff,
training students and volunteers, finances as available.
The duties outlined in this job description are in addition to those covered by the latest School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document. It may be modified by the head teacher, with your agreement, to reflect or anticipate changes in the job, commensurate with the salary and job title.
• Should circumstances arise which require this job description to be reviewed and amended, any changes will be discussed with you in the first instance. Should a disagreement arise, you will be afforded the opportunity of a meeting to resolve the matter with your Head Teacher who may involve officers of the Education Department as appropriate. You may be accompanied at this meeting by a representative of your Trade Union if you so wish.
• In addition to the duties specified within the section “Particular Responsibilities”, you may be asked to undertake any other duties which may reasonably be regarded as within the nature of the duties and responsibilities/grade of the post as defined, subject to the proviso that normally any changes of a permanent nature shall be incorporated into the job description in specific cases. This job description does not form part of the Contract of Employment.
• You are required to carry out your duties in line with the stated ethos and principles of the school and in line with your responsibility for promoting and safe guarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom you are responsible or come into contact with.
• This job description allocates duties and responsibilities but does not direct the particular amount of time to be spent on any or all of them. Your Head Teacher is responsible for maintaining a time budget on which you have been/will be consulted. You will be granted access to this at any reasonable time by arrangement with your Head Teacher.
1 SEN - £2,209
|School type||Special School|
|Education phase||Not Applicable|
|School size||111 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||3 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|Website||Newark Orchard School website (opens in a new window)|
About Newark Orchard School
Appletongate, Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG24 1JR