Horizon Community College, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, S70 6PD
12 days remaining to apply
1 November 2021 at 12:00pm
7 October 2021
Full time 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday, Term time only plus 2 INSET days
£15,553 - £16,293
As a technician for the Design Technology department, you will provide support to the staff teaching Resistant Materials and Graphics, as well as Food Technology and Textiles where necessary. You will work closely with the subject teachers in each subject taught within the department to ensure students are supported to achieve their very best, and that the working environment is safe, well resources and operating efficiently. Experience with CAD, CAM and 3D printing to support teaching and learning would be desirable.
Your main areas of responsibility will include:
• Ensuring learning activities are prepared for, by assisting and teaching staff on the preparation and resourcing of lessons, the set up of classrooms for practical exercises, and trialling activities;
• Preparing equipment and materials for lessons in line with the specification of teacher requisitions;
• Advising students on the safe and proper use of tools and equipment.
• Supporting students in material preparation;
• Assisting in practical lessons and after hours activities when requested;
• Assisting in the safety, repair and general maintenance of all resources, equipment and tools, and with stock keeping;
• Ensuring implementation of health and safety regulations, including undertaking safety checks and risk assessments as required;
• Assisting in the safe and secure stored of equipment and materials, ensuring resources are in good condition and readily available for issue;
• Safe disposal of hazardous waste.
As part of the staff team at Horizon Community College, you will benefit from:
• Personalised professional development
• A strong community and culture of kindness
• An emphasis on staff wellbeing, including free breakfasts, free access to the fitness suite and HR drop-ins
• Excellent travel links to Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Leeds, Wakefield and beyond
• An emphasis for every member of staff to realise their potential
This College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. A disclosure and barring services check will be undertaken for the successful applicant.
Applying for the job
Please visit www.horizoncc.co.uk to apply for this role.
The economic, cultural and social landscape of Barnsley is changing. Opportunities in further education, higher education and professional roles are increasing; opportunities for individuals to shape their own career pathways are growing; opportunities for individuals to challenge traditional socio-economic patterns are multiplying.
At Horizon Community College, our responsibility is to prepare students for this reality. We want young people to leave the College well qualified and with a unique skill set that will enable them to stand out from the crowd. We want young people to be in possession of a passport of qualifications and employability skills that will enable them to pursue exciting careers, attend prestigious universities, complete dynamic apprenticeships and play leading roles in regenerating this area and beyond.
Our curriculum is tailored to the needs of and meets our ambition for each individual student. This is underpinned by the College’s core values which help to prepare every student for a lifetime of success. Our Curriculum and Culture ambition:
• aims to challenge every learner, in every lesson, every day
• develops the character and skill set of all, through the belief that we are ‘Positive Role Models’
• ensures opportunities for all through our personal development and Careers and Enterprise programmes.
Successful education is also about working in close partnership with our families and the community to ensure our students succeed in each School year and are prepared for the next appropriate phase of their education. We work together to empower our students to believe that anything and everything is possible.
We heavily invest in the growth and development of our entire workforce, so they are also prepared for the next phase of their careers. We promote ‘one team’ working hard to support each other. We are focused on continued professional development for staff at every level.
We embed a curriculum and culture that results in Equity of Opportunity, Strong Community, High Expectations, Global Readiness and Kindness so that our students are School Ready; Work Ready; Life Ready.
We are delighted that you are applying for a role at Horizon Community College, and hope that this document will inform you about how we aim to provide the very best secondary education in Barnsley and beyond.