Harris Academy Rainham is looking for a Teaching Assistant to support individuals and groups of students to enable access to learning, contributing to the development and maintenance of a purposeful, nurturing learning environment.
The successful candidate will have a particular specialism in English as and Additional Language (EAL).
Qualifications, Knowledge and Training
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Basic knowledge of SEND and learning barriers
- Some knowledge of strategies in working with young people with challenging behaviours
- Knowledge of some of the social issues facing students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues in the workplace.
- Experience of working directly with young people in an education or training environment, supporting the learning of students.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with a range of stakeholders, at all levels.
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload.
Personal Skills, Abilities & Qualities
- Good literacy and numeracy skills,
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with an excellent standard of written and spoken English.
- Good administrative and organisational skills.
- Ability to interest, encourage, motivate and engage children
- Ability to work as part of a team; working effectively with people across a wide range of levels and responsibilities.
- Computer literate – must have good ICT skills including a working knowledge of MS packages e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel etc, as well as using and updating records and databases.
- Ability to work using own initiative, exercising good judgement where unsupervised.
- Flexibility of approach to work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; having tact and diplomacy where necessary.
Harris Academy Rainham is a very popular and oversubscribed 11-16 academy which is part of the Harris Federation. We joined the Federation in September 2016 and there are exciting times ahead.
What makes us different:
- Our values are at the centre of our school and aren't simply a slogan on a website.
- We have a firm but fair approach to behaviour. This is built on the use of consistent routines and teaching our students how to behave.
- We deliver a knowledge rich curriculum that is developed by our staff to meet the needs of our students. The knowledge we teach takes our students beyond their everyday experiences and enables them to see the world differently.
- Our leaders are role models, they lead by example, admit mistakes, welcome opinions and love honest conversations.
- We are a staff united against educational disadvantage with a fierce determination to show our students the world beyond Havering.
What we can do for you:
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
- Great career progression both within our Academy and the Federation.
- Excellent professional development opportunities. As a Leading edge school we have been recognised as being at the forefront of educational thinking and research is central to all we do.
- Meaningful measures to manage workload – no graded observations, early finish on a Friday, no onerous marking requirements but sensible feedback policies.
- Bespoke support and line management from excellent leaders across the school.
- Opportunities for fantastic professional growth as the school develops a sixth from.
- A school where subjects are ‘front and centre' of all we do. The subject determines our pedagogy.
Your responsibilities will include:
- To assist in the development of
appropriate resources, schemes of work and teaching strategies, working with
the teacher to ensure the provision supports each identified student's learning
- To assist in evaluating identified
students' progress through agreed assessment activities.
- To provide detailed and regular
feedback to teachers on students' achievement, progress and needs.
- To lead small group sessions and
interventions as appropriate.
- To attend to the students' personal
needs where required, and implement related personal programmes, including
social, health, physical, hygiene, first aid and welfare matters.
- To support with behaviour management.
- Undertake structured and agreed
learning activities/teaching programmes, adjusting activities to ensure
achievement of learning goals.
- To assist with the supervision of
students out of lesson times.
- To establish good relationships with
students, acting as a role model and responding appropriately to individual
- To promote the inclusion and
acceptance of all students.
- To be aware of and support difference
and ensure all students have equal access to opportunities to learn and
- To support students with their
learning and development in respect of local and national learning strategies.
- To encourage students to interact
with others and engage in activities led by the teacher.
- To set challenging and demanding
expectations, promoting self-esteem and independence.
- To prepare the classroom as directed
for lessons and clear afterwards and assist with the display of work.
- To prepare and maintain
equipment/resources as directed and assist students in their use.
- To undertake student record keeping
- To establish and maintain positive
relationships with parents/carers.
- To provide clerical/admin support as
- To ensure the effective/efficient
deployment of resources as appropriate.
- To attend relevant meetings.
- To accompany teaching staff and
students on visits, trips and off site activities.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, references, an online search, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed.
This job post has expired.