A rare and exciting opportunity has arisen at Robert May’s School for a Head of Music following an internal promotion.
We are seeking a colleague who has the drive and ambition to further develop the Music department and deliver outstanding attainment, progress and outcomes for our students.
You will be leading a highly successful and forward-thinking department in this large and growing secondary school, teaching across the age and attainment range at both Key Stage 3 and 4 in an environment where students are well behaved and keen to do well.
Music is a thriving and well-respected department within the school and local community. It is well resourced with a wide range of musical instruments and music technology; the department has a large range of extra-curricular music clubs including two a cappella groups, two Boys’ Choirs, a mixed Chamber Choir, Musical Theatre group, Jazz Band, Wind Ensemble and String Orchestra. The department also offers a wide variety of instrumental lessons with peripatetic teachers delivering instrument/singing tuition each week. The department puts on a musical production each year in collaboration with the Drama department with over 150 students taking part. GCSE Music results are consistently in the top 20% of the country and we have a high number of students opting for the subject before they reach Year 10.
At RMS, we are looking for someone who:
• Is passionate about Music and engaging students in the subject
• Has a clear vision for teaching Music and the skills to fulfil that vision
• Has excellent subject knowledge and strong teaching skills, with a proven track record of success in teaching Music at GCSE
• Has experience of leading Music performances across a school
• Is able to build positive relationships with all learners and is committed to raising attainment of all students
• Has the creativity, experience and organisational skills to drive the continued development of the Music team
• Is willing to commit to extracurricular activities that add value to the school and local community
In return, we can offer:
• Excellent support and fantastic opportunities for continuing professional development
• High priority given to staff and student wellbeing
• A dedicated and hardworking team who place excellent student outcomes at the heart of everything
• Supportive families who value education and great students who want to learn
• A well-resourced curriculum area
• A broad, exciting and personalised curriculum with a focus on collaborative planning
• Consistently excellent student attainment and progress
We have high expectations of all our students and are committed to the personal and professional development of our staff.
TLR 2b (£4,785 FTE / £3,828 pro-rata)
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
1262 pupils enrolled
11 to 16
About Robert May's School
Robert May’s School, which dates from 1694, is a high attaining and oversubscribed 11-16 Academy school with a distinctive ethos based on the charitable principles of our founder. We are situated in a semi-rural setting in Hampshire, near Junction 5 of the M3 with good rail and road access.
Arranging a visit to Robert May's School
We would welcome the opportunity for an informal discussion or visit. Please contact Lisa Shackleton, HR Officer on 01256 702700 or email email@example.com for further information or to arrange a visit.