Head of Physics
Continued delivery of high quality learning and teaching in Physics:
• Leading learning: - monitoring the use of data and assessment strategies to measure student progress.
• Leading teaching: - developing the teaching practices of others through review, staff development and recognition.
• Leading curriculum development: - accountability for reviewing, planning and implementing changes of curriculum delivery.
• Leading staff: - having line management responsibility for other subject teachers.
• To contribute to the development of a departmental ethos of high expectation and achievement that reflects whole school policy and principles.
• To use data to inform groupings to set individual learning targets for students and to review whole department progress and targets.
• To manage the implementation of whole school policies of Assessment for Learning and Leading in Learning.
• To ensure the regular monitoring of student progress to provide feedback to students and parents.
• To ensure a stimulating learning environment within science and ensure current student work is prominently displayed.
• To ensure that learning is inclusive and takes account of the individual needs of all students, ranging from those with learning difficulties to those with special talents.
• To encourage off-site learning and to ensure that all requirements for educational visits are adhered to.
• To maintain high levels of personal subject expertise and to act as a model practitioner, subject trainer and networker in order to identify and share good practice.
• To lead staff in the use of a wide range of approaches to the technology of teaching.
• To lead and support staff in the department’s implementation of the school behaviour policy.
• To monitor the quality of teaching within the subject area, to celebrate and disseminate good practice and to challenge poor performance if it occurs.
Leading Curriculum Development:
• To be an advocate for the subject, and to deputise, as necessary, for the Head of Faculty at meetings other instances as required.
• To maintain a continuous quest to seek improvement through curriculum design and delivery and to prepare and lead staff through any changes that occur.
• To lead curriculum development and delivery for the subject area.
To support new staff, including ITT students, to become happy, valued and valuable members of the department.
• To support the Director of STEAM in the 1:1 monitoring meetings, including on-going evaluation of self and other staff.
• To manage the appraisal process for a given number of department staff, including the identification of their cpd needs and regular 1:1 meetings.
• To direct other staff, including support staff and learning support assistants, on a day to day basis.
• To support the Director of STEAM in monitoring the consistent application of whole school policies by staff.
Essential educational requirements
• Science related Degree
• Relevant CPD over last three years.
• Qualified Teacher Status.
Essential skills and experience
• Proven strong teaching, leadership and management skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• ICT Literate.
• Ability to form good relationships with parents, adults and students.
• Ability to work collaboratively within a team and when necessary, resolving conflict.
• The ability to use data as a tool for school improvement.
• Understanding of new and emerging technologies support learning and teaching.
• Principles and strategies of faculty improvement
• Strategic Development Planning Process
• Strategies for ensuring inclusion and diversity
• Self review and evaluation procedures as applied at faculty level.
• Identification and intervention strategies which ensure student achievement.
• Sound knowledge of current national policies
About Walbottle Campus
Walbottle Campus is an 11 to 18 secondary school and sixth form with approximately 1650 students, occupying a large, beautiful site in the Tyne Valley. The school has a thriving community of students, parents, staff and governors who work together to provide an engaging learning environment which encourages students to reach their full potential. The core values of respect, ambition and determination are demonstrated throughout the curriculum as well as within extra-curricular opportunities. Academic excellence is at the heart of the school and learning is designed to be exciting, stimulating and relevant to students' lives in the 21st century.
- Hexham Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE15 9TP
- LA Maintained School
- Walbottle Campus website (opens in a new window)