As a Lead Practitioner of Modern Foreign Languages, you will excel in the classroom – but, just as importantly, you will be instrumental in supporting not only your departmental colleagues to be the best they can be, in the classroom and beyond, and be involved in mentoring, coaching, professional development and challenge. We are also looking for someone who has a passion for teaching and learning, who will work closely with our Assistant Principal (Teaching and Learning), to improve the educational outcomes of all our young people at Castle View Academy.
The ideal candidate will be an ambitious classroom practitioner with a desire to achieve strong outcomes. We need someone who wants to become a beacon of excellent practice in a classroom environment, whilst posing the muscularity of intellect and professional credibility to drive up standards in the classroom for all our young people.
What we offer
- A knowledge rich curriculum, built on ‘powerful knowledge’ and a traditional T&L approach built around Rosenshine and TLAC
- Huge support and progression opportunities, part of the largest Academy Trust in England
- United Learning Pay Scales, above the national benchmarks
- A variety of discounted services from supporting your wellbeing, to a car lease scheme and access to Perk Box
- Collaborative planning with centralised shared units of work and resources, developed by Trust subject specialist’s
- Excellent support from United Learning central team colleagues
- A feedback policy focused on whole class feedback – no onerous marking policies
- Disruption-free learning and a ‘warm/strict’ behaviour system
- Highly visible and supportive senior leaders
- Centralised detentions, including homework detentions
- No formal graded lesson observations – just ongoing ‘no-stakes’ instructional coaching, helping you to continuously develop and grow
- Three extra INSET days for wellbeing
- Excellent ongoing CPD, career development and promotion opportunities
- Opportunity to complete NPQs and Trust Leadership Programmes
What we are looking for
- Highly effective professionals with excellent knowledge in their area of expertise, who can deliver exceptional outcomes
- Colleagues who are aligned to our values and mission. If you are the type of person who fits with our culture, you will love working here.
- Colleagues who passionately believes that all children can achieve, no matter what their starting point, background or needs. Someone that does not make excuses for what children can achieve.
Castle View Academy is a rapidly expanding (11 – 16) academy based on the edge of Portsmouth, serving the community of Paulsgrove, with an additional 150 students joining us in the last academic year. This is why this fantastic opportunity has arisen, for someone who has a proven track record of achieving excellent outcomes. We are part of the United Learning group, the largest multi academy trust in the UK, and we are seeking a driven, ambitious and aspiring leader to join our team.
In August 2023 the academy achieved it’s best ever Progress 8 measure of -0.17, which is a significant improvement to what it was prior to United Learning taking on the academy in 2018. We not only fully expect to achieve a positive Progress 8 measure with our current Year 11 students in Summer 2024, but also to be the best non-selective school within Portsmouth based on this measure.
Awarded ‘Good’ by Ofsted in June 2022, we have a relentless focus on high standards in all that we do. We work together to dismantle any barriers to learning and achievement and have a total belief that every student can be successful regardless of their starting point. We have a consistent and effective approach to behaviour which means teachers can focus on the main thing – teaching.
Teaching and Learning is at the heart of what we do. Every decision is driven by its potential to impact on student learning. Our approach to teaching and learning is informed by robust research, constantly reviewed, and tailored to our unique context.
We believe that schools must teach powerful knowledge, ’the best that has been thought and said’ and an ‘entitlement curriculum’ for all. We believe in explicit instruction and have been greatly influenced by Lemov’s ‘Teach Like A Champion’, Rosenshine and recent developments in cognitive science. We believe that the creation of a scholarly culture that is warm and strict, disciplined and joyful, where there is ‘purpose not power’, ensuring impeccable behaviour, where teachers can focus on teaching and students can focus on learning, underpins everything.
We are values – driven and our vision is to provide an inclusive, aspirational and academic education for all our students, so that all of them will learn, thrive and lead successful lives. We are unapologetically ambitious for every child, no matter what their background, prior attainment or needs. We want to ensure that all our students have the option to be able to go to university or aspirational alternative.
We value our staff highly and treat workload very seriously. Our systems are high leverage, ensuring you can really focus on your core purpose – teaching, in a sustainable way, unhindered by bureaucracy or poor behaviour.
United Learning are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Staff must be committed to the safeguarding of children across the Multi Academy Trust, comply with United Learnings procedures concerning safeguarding and complete all necessary training.
We actively welcome visits and would be delighted to show you around our academy to appreciate fully our excellent culture and learning environment, please contact the academy using firstname.lastname@example.org to book a visit.
Application deadline: Email applications only through the school’s website:
Deadline: Wednesday 22nd November
Interviews: Week commencing Monday 27th November
This job post has expired.