Lead Teacher of English
Deadline is tomorrow
Start date details
31 March 2023 at 12pm (midday)
13 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4
- View all Englishjobs
- View all Full timejobs - Full time position
- MPR 1 - 6 (£28,000 to £38,810) or UPR (£40,625 to £43,685) + TLR 2c (£7,368)
TLR 2c (£7,368)
What skills and experience we're looking for
Specific Duties in addition to those of a class teacher
- To promote effective teaching and learning practice by modelling, CPD, team teaching, sharing resources and reading materials;
- To keep fully up to date with current practice by reading widely and personal CPD;
- To maintain a high quality of teaching practice at all times so that it is continually recognized as offering a model of excellent practice;
- Provide coaching and mentoring for designated staff;
- Organise joint planning sessions within a year group or subject area;
- Contribute to whole school INSET opportunities;
- Develop and lead training programmes for particular groups of staff, e.g. Ebacc teachers;
- Make a significant contribution to the design of subject policies, schemes of work and the development of new courses;
- Support the Leadership Team in monitoring the teaching profile within the school and provide support as necessary;
- Liaise with other teams to provided targeted support for individuals and groups;
- Organise and provide after school/weekend and holiday revision sessions as necessary;
- To keep up-to-date with national and local developments in teaching and be fully involved in planning for future developments;
- To work within the precepts of the National Curriculum;
- To oversee relevant cost centres and ensure that at all times the school secures “best value”;
- Undertake a maximum teaching commitment to be agreed with the Head of Seniors.
What the school offers its staff
Our school is a very special place where pupils, staff and governors work in a community where we aim to be Ready, Respectful, Resilient, Responsible, Resourceful and Reflective every day. This could be the start of your Mayfield journey.
Mayfield School is at the heart of a thriving and diverse local community. We are one of the first single-site, all-through maintained schools in the country, which we believe provides us with a unique opportunity to join together for an educational purpose, to improve and shape the lives of the children (Year R – Year 11) in our learning community. Our school operates as an all-through school with a single vision, set of values, staff, and Governing Body.
Mayfield School started a new era with the opening of our brand new state-of-the-art building in 2021. This has provided our school community with new facilities, such as a large sports hall, new drama rooms, new assembly hall, a large canteen and café area and much more besides. We are a friendly, vibrant school with high standards and expectations. We pride ourselves on the positive relationships we foster, knowing every young person as an individual and challenging each of them to have the highest possible aspirations through our ambitious and inclusive curriculum. Our ambition is to build on our excellent pastoral care with high standards and expectations so that young people are able to flourish and to achieve their very best.
Further details about the role
Mayfield School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment.
In line with ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’, the school will carry out an online search as part of our due diligence on shortlisted candidates. This may help identify any incidents or issues that have happened, and are publicly available online, which the school might want to explore with the applicant at interview.
New members of staff will be required to apply for Disclosure Service certification as part of the School’s staff recruitment process. Further information about the Disclosure and Barring Service is available from the DBS website at www.gov.uk/dbs. Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1075, applicants for teaching posts are among those who are not entitled to withhold information about any previous criminal conviction.
Safer Recruitment Mayfield School and Portsmouth Local Authority are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and young people, and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. DBS Disclosure at Enhanced level will be required.
Data Protection Act 1998 You should be aware that the information you have provided will be stored on Portsmouth City Councils secure recruitment database and will only be used to process your application. It will not be passed to any other organisation.
Commitment to safeguarding
Applying for the job
Please download the application form using the link below, and once completed send to firstname.lastname@example.orgDownload an application form - 138 KB
Upload additional documents
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About Mayfield School
- School type
- Local authority maintained school, ages 4 to 16
- Education phase
- View all Through schooljobs
- School size
- 1460 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 4 to 16
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Mayfield School website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 02392 693432
Mayfield is a very successful and heavily oversubscribed school in the north of Portsmouth City. We are one of the first state, single-site, ‘all through’ schools in the country. We operate an “Outstanding” Pre-School and Nursery with reduced fees and preferential access for Mayfield staff. We have been successful in our bid to receive ‘Priority School Building’ funding which will result in the construction of a multi-million, ‘state of the art’ new build on the current school site which is due to open in summer 2021. All staff members have the opportunity to work across all sections of the school depending on their interest, skills and experience. Mayfield is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All successful candidates will be subject to criminal records bureau checks along with other relevant pre-employment checks.
Arranging a visit to Mayfield School
To arrange a visit and increase the chance of a successful application email email@example.com.
Similar jobs nearby
Mayfield Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO2 0RH
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Portsmouth and Hampshire