PE Teacher - Maternity Cover
JOB TITLE: PE Teacher
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head Teacher
SUBJECT TEACHER - Main Duties and Responsibilities
LINE MANAGER - Subject Leader
• To plan and prepare courses and lessons.
• To teach, according to their educational needs, those students assigned to the teacher.
• To set and mark homework.
• To assess, record and report (including oral and written assessments, reports and references) on the development, progress and attainment of students, in each case having regard to the curriculum of the school.
• To communicate and consult with the parents/guardians of students.
• To communicate and cooperate with persons or bodies outside the school.
• To participate in meetings arranged for any of the purposes described above.
• To review from time to time teaching methods and programmes of work.
• To participate in arrangements for further training and professional development.
• To advise and cooperate with other colleagues (individually or in groups) on the preparation and development of schemes of work and materials for teaching and/or assessment.
• To ensure good behaviour amongst students and safeguard their health and safety both when they are authorised to be on school premises and when engaged in authorised school activities elsewhere.
• To participate in meetings at the school relating to the curriculum or the administration or organisation of the school.
• In emergencies and exceptional circumstances cover for colleagues absent through illness or through participating in staff development activities or educational visits.
• To participate in arrangements for preparing students for public examination; recording and reporting relevant assessments; participating in arrangements for student presentations and supervision during internal and external examinations.
• To assist, where appropriate, in the induction of students and newly qualified teachers.
• To participate, as required, in the review, development and management of activities relating to the functions of the school.
• To register the attendance of students in class.
• To supervise students as a member of one of the duty teams identified each term.
FORM TUTOR - Main duties and responsibilities
LINE MANAGER - Head of Year
• Get to know the students in your tutor group and foster positive working relationships in order to help guide them to success.
• Assist the year team with the pastoral care of the students in your group.
• Promote positive attitudes to school and the wider community through effective delivery of a tutorial programme.
• Support and encourage the learning of all students in your group.
• Promote the ethos of the school – ‘Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe’ and help students become TERRIFIC.
• Take the register once a day during afternoon registration.
• Assist the year team in promoting good attendance and punctuality and check uniform compliance regularly, taking action in line with the uniform protocol
• Attend tutor meetings when required.
• Attend parents evenings when required.
• Contribute a pastoral comment to the reports of your students.
• Liaise with parents /carers and be the first port of call for parental enquiries.
• Facilitate and assist students in achieving the Redborne Award.
• Contribute to the cleanliness of the school by carrying out a litter pick with your group as the rota demands.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• To share Redborne’s commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
• To maintain confidentiality at all times in respect of school-related matters and to prevent disclosure of confidential and sensitive information.
• To undertake any other duties of a similar level and responsibility as may be required.
Essential educational requirements
Honors Degree in PE desirable
Honors Degree in PE desirable
Essential skills and experience
• Understanding of requirements of National Curriculum at KS3, KS4 and KS5.
• Ability to teach Physical Education at GCSE and A Level.
• Ability to use ICT as an integral part of teaching strategies.
• Ability to operate effectively as part of a team.
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
• A passion for Physical Education.
• Ability to use initiative.
• Interested in personal and professional development.
• To offer support for students outside of lessons.
• Organise and run sports teams and clubs outside of normal school hours
About Redborne Upper School and Community College
Redborne is a successful school on a spacious and pleasant campus near the market town of Ampthill in Bedfordshire. We achieve excellent examination results with about three-quarters of students typically gaining Maths and English at grades 9 – 4. ‘A’ Level results are also very good with over half at ‘A*’, ‘A’ or ‘B’ grades and an overall pass rate of 99.9%. About 80% of the Sixth Form go on to university and each year a number of students get into Oxbridge. The school is well regarded, oversubscribed and situated in a very pleasant area of Central Bedfordshire, within easy reach of London. The campus includes a state-of-the-art 400 seat theatre and we have just opened a new classroom block and Sixth Form social area. In the next few years the school is likely to expand to 1,700 with 500+ in the sixth form. Redborne is also a National College Support School, a Leading Edge School and has Teaching School Status.
- Flitwick Road, Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK45 2NU
- Redborne Upper School and Community College website (opens in a new window)