We are a group of schools based in East Bournemouth catering for students age 4-18 across our four schools. Avonwood Primary School is a standalone primary facility based next door to our Avonbourne Boys’ and Girls’ Academies where students share a campus and are taught in predominantly single sex classes. When students reach our United Sixth Form, mixed classes are reinstated. We believe this diamond model of education recognises that as boys and girls reach their teenage years, they approach their learning differently allowing us to get the most out of every student.
The Academies advocate a coaching culture, where teachers develop as reflective practitioners, utilising shared best practice and evidence based teaching and learning initiatives. In-house CPD is extensive and high quality, with professional learning communities utilising local university support, to carry out action research in cross-faculty groups.
Pastoral care is superb, with a highly trained team that are morally driven and extremely effective. We encourage students to develop their skills through the provision of educational opportunities which enable young minds to play a part in creating a future which has opportunities for all and encourages aspiration and determination.
STUDENT WELFARE OFFICER
Contract Term: Permanent, Term-Time only including inset days (39 working weeks plus 5.67 weeks paid holiday)
Hours: 20hrs per week, 4hrs per day, flexible 9am - 1pm or 10am – 2pm
About the role
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is passionate about student mental health and wellbeing. We are looking for someone to work closely with the pastoral team in supporting our students at Avonbourne Academies, providing a high-quality counselling service.
The successful candidate will:
- have an ELSA qualification or equivalent
- have a degree or similar in Psychology
- have at least two years ELSA experience
- have experience of working with secondary aged pupils
- be empathetic, patient and understanding with excellent listening and communication skills and a non-judgmental and warm approach
- be able to work with pastoral and wellbeing staff
- understand the importance of confidentiality and the need to deal with matters in a sensitive manner
- good organisational and administrative skills and the ability to maintain thorough and accurate records.
- be proactive and solution focused
- ability to work with trainees if required.
Ideally you will have already worked in a school or college setting in a similar role.
We can offer you:
- the opportunity to contribute to improving the life chances of our children.
- a competitive salary
- access to an Employee Assistance Programme.
- over 250 employee exclusive benefits through our partners, Perkbox, including access to discounted cinema tickets, holidays and gym memberships, car leasing and Cycle2work schemes
- access to the Local Government Pension Scheme.
- occupational sick pay, protecting you and your family
- Continuous Professional Development options that will be tailored to your needs
- competitive maternity, paternity and adoption benefits
Avonbourne Academies are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for all successful applicants.
Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor a VISA application for this particular role as it is not one of the shortage occupations listed on the UK Governments website at this current time.
Note – We reserve the right to interview and offer to a strong candidate prior to the closing date. It is strongly recommended that candidates submit their application as soon as possible. No further applications will be accepted once closed.
For more information
To apply, please complete the online application form.
For more information about this role or to arrange a visit please contact:
Closing date for applications: Midnight Sunday 29th January 2023
This job post has expired.