Subject Lead of Art and Design Technology
This job expired on 18 May 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
18 May 2023 at 11:59pm
29 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
- MPS (Inner London) + £2,000 Harris Allowance + TLR
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
We are looking for a qualified teacher with subject leadership experience to join Harris Science Academy East London as Subject Leader of Art and DT.
You will join an open and supportive team in establishing outstanding provision within DT. This will include all programmes, systems and structures taking account of the academy's vision and values leading to outstanding teaching and learning.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, and, ideally, further qualifications and evidence of continuous self-development and updated knowledge in relevant areas
- Have a minimum of three years' teaching experience, ideally including KS5 and in multi-ethnic urban schools
- Understand the theory and practice of effective teaching and learning
- Have knowledge of National Curriculum requirements at KS3, KS4, and KS5
- Have experience of delivering high quality INSET to teaching staff within subject area, and of using coaching as a model for ensuring ongoing professional development
- Ideally, be able to show evidence of leading, supporting and managing others, both individuals and teams, ensuring high quality performance
- Be able to prove their success in raising achievement as a subject leader or classroom practitioner
- Have successful experience of processes of monitoring, evaluation and review that provide performance data that can be used to improve the quality of teaching and learning
- Have a good level of ICT skills and experience of how new technologies can be used to raise achievement
- Have recent experience of involvement in innovative curriculum development
- Have ideas of how Language, Literacy and Numeracy can be used across the curriculum to raise standards
- Have experience of embedding innovative strategies for improving teaching and learning and of managing and implementing change successfully
What the school offers its staff
Harris Science Academy East London is a co-educational secondary academy and Sixth Form with a mission to provide children in this part of East London with a truly world-class education.
The curriculum is stimulating and challenging and our teachers are, across the board, experts in their subjects. Our approach to pastoral care means every student feels safe and can learn, and our timetable is packed with trips, talks, clubs, and activities that make the most of our location close to the centre of London.
Since September 2022, we have been part of the Harris Federation, a high-performing group of 52 primary and secondary academies in and around London.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level.
In addition to the opportunities for career development and progression, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includesour Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS,a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions, a Wellbeing Cash Plan including access to a virtual GP, electric car scheme, and many other benefits. Learn more aboutour benefitson our website.
Further details about the role
The main responsibilities of your role will be:
- To establish outstanding provision within the subject area. This to include all programmes, systems and structures taking account of the academy's vision and values leading to outstanding teaching and learning.
- To be accountable for student progress and development in the subject area across KS3, KS4 and Sixth form, including meeting student achievement targets for subject areas which are agreed by the Principal and the Governing Body.
- To ensure high standards of teaching and learning across the subject area through continuously, developing and enhancing the quality of teaching and learning.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately engaging, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students in the subject area, in accordance with the academy aims and policies, as determined by the Principal and Governing Body.
- To ensure that all school policies and procedures are implemented and applied consistently by all colleagues in the subject area.
- To effectively and efficiently manage and deploy teaching/support staff, financial and physical resources across the subject area, with the support and working alongside the MLG/ALG.
- To lead development for literacy, within subject areas, to raise standards of Literacy across the Academy.
Commitment to safeguarding
About Harris Science Academy East London
- School type
- Free School, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- Up to 1000 pupils
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 020 8981 2680
Are you ready to change the world? Harris Science Academy East London is a new, small school with big ambitions. Join us on our mission to help our children become leaders in their chosen field with many leading in science and to become one of the top schools in the UK. This is no ordinary school. Situated in an eclectic array of buildings next to the renowned Three Mills Studios (location of BBC's Masterchef) amongst the iconic East London canal network, this is a unique setting to provide a life changing education for the children of East London. We believe we will succeed in this mission through a relentless focus on the basic functions of a high performing school: Unified leadership and alignment behind a powerful mission. Exemplary student behaviour. A well-taught, unapologetically academic education for all children. Regular opportunities for character development. Every member of our school community is a leader. We believe that leadership does not have to be macho or at the expense of others. Our values of GRACE help us to achieve success in a collegiate and sustainable way: Growth – the belief that we can always improve and that feedback from others is essential for our development. Responsibility – we own our decisions and recognise when we need to put things right or make a change. Ambition – the belief that access to the top grades, the best universities and elite careers are available for our children. Compassion – we are kind to others and grateful for what we have. Excellence – we prioritise doing the basics well day after day, so we build habits that lead to success. The school joined the Harris Federation in September 2022. The Harris Federation is the most successful large multi-academy trust in the UK and the only large trust where disadvantaged students secured a positive progress score in 2022. We are hugely proud of the work we do to support the most vulnerable children in the UK. The Federation has made a significant financial investment in the Academy, with upgrades to Sixth Form provision, buildings and IT. The Federation subject consultants provide industry leading support to middle leaders to deliver the best education possible for all children across the Federation. If you are aligned, driven and committed to doing what works, this is an excellent opportunity to join an organisation undergoing rapid transformation.
Similar jobs nearby
Mossbourne Community Academy
100 Downs Park Road, London, E5 8JY
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace
Maberley Road, London, SE19 2JH
Head of Technology (Resistant Material)
Heron Hall Academy
Queensway, Enfield, Middlesex, EN3 4SA
Hornchurch High School
Broadstone Road, Hornchurch, Essex, RM12 4AJ
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in London