Teacher in Charge of Food & Nutrition
Food and Nutrition is an extremely popular subject with a strong take up at GCSE. We are seeking a proactive, adaptable and highly motivated individual who can teach and plan effectively across the KS3 and KS4 Food and Nutrition curriculum.
The Portsmouth Academy can offer exciting opportunities, as the Design Technology department have recently been awarded considerable investment, which will also lead to an expansion of the Food and Nutrition facilities.
The right candidate will be able to guide the subject in its expansion and develop curriculum overviews and schemes of learning to engage and enthuse students. You will be supported by a leadership team who understand the value of the skills developed in this subject area
Essential educational requirements
Must be a Qualified Teacher with experience of teaching Food 7 Nutrition
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
• Be a qualified Food & Nutrition Teacher
• Be experienced in planning an appropriate and challenging curriculum
• Have a thorough knowledge of present curriculum developments, particularly those relating to Food & Nutrition
• Be an inspiring teacher with real enthusiasm for the subject
• Be able to motivate his/her pupils
• Be committed to high standards for both staff and students
• Be prepared to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the Academy
• Have excellent knowledge/experience of teaching Food & Nutrition
• What we can offer you:
A TLR of £2,746 is available for this role.
• An excellent environment for learning and teaching. The Portsmouth Academy has undergone major refurbishment and a further building phase will commence in 2019 including a state of the art new building with fantastic facilities to house, art music and drama.
• We place a strong emphasis on “Wellbeing for Staff” here at The Portsmouth Academy and take the importance of Wellbeing extremely seriously. Our Wellbeing strategy consists of regular opportunities to participate in on site activities such as Pilates, Ceramics and Football each week.
• Progress is significantly above the national average in a range of subjects.
• Teachers are provided with above 10% PPA and they are designated allocated marking time.
• With an outstanding Leadership and Management team, we are focused on providing our staff with bespoke CPD tailored to the stage they are at in their career.
• The Academy operates a very clear behaviour structure and pupil’s conduct in lessons and around the school is excellent. – Ofsted 2017
• Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding practice through resources, mentoring and school visits.
• Access to the New Horizons Teaching Alliance, offering a wide range of robust and innovatory development resources and expertise.
• The Trust holds regular CPD events.
• A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas.
• Onsite parking free of charge.
About The Portsmouth Academy
We are very proud of our school, which offers a wonderful education; full of opportunities for young people to ‘Aspire and Achieve’. For the last three years, we have been on a journey to become a fully accredited Thinking school. Less than 100 schools internationally have achieved this prestigious status, which is awarded by the University of Exeter. We credit the thinking school philosophy with helping our young people to establish habits of excellence which lead them to outstanding success in their public examinations. The 2016 exam results place the school as one of the highest performing in the city. 64% of students achieved the gold standard of 5 or more GCSEs at A*-C, including English and maths, and 75% achieved 5 GCSEs at grades A*-C. More than 1 in 4 grades was an A*/A showing that the most able students achieve extremely well with us. Indeed, we are proud of how we support every student, no matter what their academic starting points. According to government measures, the progress we make with our students is outstanding.
- St Mary's Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 5PF
- The Portsmouth Academy website (opens in a new window)