- Job role
Suitable for early career teachers
- Working pattern
- Full time
- Contract type
- Mainscale (+UPS where appropriate).
‘In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate most effectively have prevailed’ - Charles Darwin.
Whether you are beginning your career as an ECT or you have been teaching Biology for decades, to really inspire the next generation of scientists you need an environment with the right conditions where pupils genuinely want to learn. An environment in which your colleagues are as geeky about your subject as you are. With our unparalleled professional development opportunities, you will be able to progress in your career, whatever stage you are at. There are copious opportunities for working with international schools and STEM organisations. We also offer Chartered Teaching Status through the Chartered Teachers College for anyone with three or more years of experience.
Whatever your level of experience in the classroom, it’s your passion for your subject that counts. We prize love of learning above all else. We need a talented teacher of Biology who has the passion to provide pupils with the best possible experience of this fascinating subject. Could it be you?
Our teachers work very hard but they only ever do work which is going to make a difference for our pupils. Quite simply, we believe in common sense approaches to everything. That means:
• Our teachers do minimal marking. Why spend ages with a red pen when there are much better ways to give pupils the feedback they need?
• We never ask for lesson plans. Of any kind. Ever.
• Although schemes of work and resources are provided, they are not prescriptive – we cherish individual approaches to delivery.
• There is no pressure to ‘put on a show’ in lessons: A culture of typicality is reinforced by no lesson gradings (outstanding, good, etc).
• Everyone has the highest expectations of behaviour, with all staff (not just teaching staff) reinforcing those expectations.
• A clear system of sanctions is applied consistently so staff don’t have to battle with pupils.
• Senior Leadership are very visible and all staff ‘own’ their corridors.
• CPD is tailored specifically to staff needs, based off their feedback.
• There are no prizes for looking busy or staying late – we work in a way that suits us. We make sure we make time for ourselves and our families.
That’s just 9 of the things we do to secure our teachers’ well-being. There are many more here: http://www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk/47-things-we-do-staff-well-being/
Applying for the job
Please visit www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk to download an application form and send it to the Headteacher, Lynsey Draycott: LDraycott@barrbeaconschool.co.uk. More on how to apply (opens in new tab)
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- School size
- 1556 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
About Barr Beacon School
The word ‘outstanding’ appears a lot in advertisements for teachers – but at Barr Beacon School, it means more. With over 1000 requests for the 252 places available in Year 7 this September, parents would certainly agree. When Ofsted last visited, they merely confirmed what we already knew.
How have we achieved all of this?
Quite simply, we employ teachers who are as ambitious, passionate and dedicated as we are. These amazing people work hard – in fact they work very hard – to ensure that our pupils make the best progress they possibly can.
Whether they are the most able or or the least able, the most advantaged or the least advantaged, every child deserves nothing less than the very best teaching.
Not surprisingly, there’s a real buzz about the place. If you would like to be part of it – and teach children who genuinely want to learn – we would love to hear from you.
Arranging a visit to Barr Beacon School
We urge you to visit us. There’s a real buzz about the place which no amount of words can convey, so please come to see Barr Beacon School for yourself. To arrange a visit in advance of your application, please get in touch.