Teacher of Design and Technology (Maternity Cover)
Key purpose of the job
To teach pupils in allocated classes in order to ensure that their learning is of the highest quality.
Responsibilities of a classroom teacher
• Teach pupils within allocated classes, enhancing their learning and providing the opportunity for achievement for all pupils
• Planning and preparing tasks which challenge pupils and ensure high levels of interest during lessons
• Monitor the academic progress of pupils within allocated classes and implement appropriate strategies to address underachievement
• To assess, record and report on the progress and attainment of all pupils within allocated classes
• To register the attendance of pupils in class
• To set appropriate homework
• To mark pupil’s work and give appropriate and constructive feedback
• To research new topic areas, maintain up-to-date subject knowledge, and devise and write new curriculum materials
• Manage pupil behaviour in the classroom and on school premises, and apply appropriate and effective measures in cases of misbehaviour
• Communicate with parents and carers over pupils' progress and participate in departmental meetings, parents' evenings and whole school training events
• Undergoing regular observations and participating in regular in-service training (INSET) as part of continuing professional development (CPD)
• Undertake critical self-evaluation and then participate in continuous professional development designed to enhance the quality of teaching or other working practices.
Responsibilities of a form tutor
• To address any issues concerned with the wellbeing, personal development and academic progress of pupils within the tutor group
• To check uniform and general appearance on a daily basis
• To monitor the behaviour of pupils in the tutor group.
Performance Management responsibilities
• All members of staff are required to participate fully in the school’s performance management system.
Other professional requirements
• Have a working knowledge of teachers’ professional duties and legal liabilities
• Operate at all times within the stated policies and practices of the school
• Establish effective working relationships and set a good example through their presentation and personal and professional conduct
• Contribute to the corporate life of the school through effective participation in meetings and management systems necessary to coordinate the management of the school.
Essential educational requirements
Undergraduate degree in relevant subject is desirable
Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
Essential skills and experience
Teaching experience in DT is desirable
About Kirk Hallam Community Academy
- Godfrey Drive, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 4HH
- Kirk Hallam Community Academy website (opens in a new window)