successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good teacher
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students
• make effective use of their time
• secure consistently high standards of behaviour from students
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class
teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 11-18 students (or of successful
completion of initial teacher training if applying as an ECT).
At SRWA, our people are at
the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration
and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its
centre. We invest in our staff with wellbeing support, coaching, mentoring and
a wide range of top-quality training and CPD programmes delivered at every
level up to senior leadership.
SRWAteaching staff benefit
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
- the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
- proven student progress and excellent student behaviour;
- an established STEM group including work
withRICARDO Engineering, a world leading company
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
- strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• free employee assistance programme, dedicated staff wellbeing space and 1-1
mental health booster sessions available;
- free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
- free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
- cycle to work scheme;
- free flu jabs.
We are seeking
a talented and enthusiastic English Teacher with thorough subject
knowledge to join the English department from September 2024. This is an
incredible opportunity to join an excellent team of practitioners who are very
excited about the future outcomes of their students. We welcome applications from colleagues (with
QTS) at all stages of their career, including ECTs, who are committed to raising
achievement in English. This is a permanent
and full time position.
English department has achieved strong GCSE and A Level results over the past
few years, with students being offered a text rich curriculum that
prioritises reading for pleasure and progress. Dedicated reading
lessons ensure that all students have access to the best writing and the best
ideas, with students reading contemporary YA fiction, such as 'Dear
Martin' and ‘The
Boxer’ alongside established literary classics, such
as 'Treasure Island'.
Staff in English form a dynamic
team with a strong shared purpose, and there are high expectations for
all, with students taught in mixed attainment groups throughout key stages 3
& 4. Lessons in English expose students to a diverse range of texts,
including dystopian short stories by Ray Bradbury; Romantic poetry and
Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night', and opportunities for writing, both analytically
and creatively, punctuate our lessons.
Students in our sixth form, 'W6', take English
Literature at A Level, and we are part of the 'Lit in Colour' pioneers
programme. Students are encouraged to develop their English skills outside
of the classroom, with an extra-curricular offer that includes creative
writing, debate club and the ever popular, Dungeons and
The English department is
housed in our modern building with visualisers in every classroom. At the
heart of the Academy is the library, which is an accessible resource for all
students and staff as we grow a love of reading in the student body. The Accelerated Reader programme was introduced in
September 2013 and continues to be an effective tool in developing a reading
culture at Key Stage 3.
This job post has expired.