Teacher of English
Deadline is tomorrow
Start date details
23 March 2023 at 11:59pm
13 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Englishjobs
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
- Fixed term - TBC
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS/UPS (Outer London) + £1,500 Harris Allowance
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Inspire, transform, teach! We are currently looking to appoint a dedicated and inspiring Teacher of English.
At Harris Academy Sutton , you will join a dedicated team of teachers and staff supporting our vibrant students. If you are looking for an opportunity to grow, inspire and develop, this may be the role for you.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
- Have successful teaching experience at secondary level (can be teaching practice), ideally including experience in multi-ethnic urban schools and of working in an 11-18 school
- Understand the theory and practice of effective teaching and learning
- Understand the importance of high expectations and equality of access for all students, and of being a tutor
- Have knowledge of National Curriculum requirements at KS3 and KS4, and of writing lesson plans, developing resources and assessing students' work
- Be able to work as part of a team and to develop and maintain positive relationships with all staff
- Have a good level of ICT skills, ideally including innovative use of interactive white boards
- Be able to create a motivating and safe learning environment for all students
- Be able to communicate positively with parents, carers and other external agencies where necessary
- Have good written and spoken communication skills
- Be able to lead and manage their own work effectively
- Have excellent time management skills
- Be able to motivate students and raise their aspirations through a range of strategies
What the school offers its staff
We believe that a happy and settled staff body helps drive the very best performance from our students. We are committed to a high-quality professional development programme and can drawn on expertise from across the Harris Federation. As a HASU member of staff at any level you will receive the training and support that you need to carry out your role effectively and develop at a pace that suits you.
We are committed to ensuring that our staff have the right level of balance between work and home life. Our policies and procedures are aimed at allowing our teaching staff to spend as much time as possible planning and delivering lessons.
We work in an award-winning building with excellent facilities. Our thriving staff association ensures all new members of staff soon feel part of the HASU community.
We run a broad and diverse curriculum to a fully comprehensive intake of students, with a highly academically-focussed sixth-form.
Our focus on the core value of Integrity means that our behaviour is excellent, with staff supported by a strong and highly visible Academy Leadership Group. Detentions are run centrally, allowing teaching staff to do what they do best: plan and teach amazing lessons.
Attendance and engagement with learning is high, and centrally planned tutor time resources ensure that our tutors can engage with students whilst delivering high-quality experiences.
In addition to the opportunities for career development and progression, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions, a Wellbeing Cash Plan including access to a virtual GP, electric car scheme, and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students and to support a designated curriculum area as appropriate.
- To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students as a teacher/form tutor
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential
- To contribute to raising standards of student attainment
- To share and support the academy's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including lesson planning, developing resources and syllabuses, and contributing to the departmental plan)
- Curriculum planning
- Staff development (including continuing professional development and engaging fully in the Performance Management Review process)
- Quality assurance (including contributing to the process of monitoring and evaluating the subject area)
- Management of information (including maintaining appropriate records and tracking student progress)
- Communications with students, parents and other stakeholders
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, ensuring a high quality learning experience for students
Commitment to safeguarding
Applying for the job
Apply for the job by following the link belowMore on how to apply (opens in new tab)
About Harris Academy Sutton
- School type
- Free School, ages 11 to 19
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 861 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 19
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy Sutton website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0203 962 4500
Harris Academy Sutton opened in September 2018 as a brand new, state-of-the-art 11-18 co-educational academy in the heart of Sutton. With a specialism in Science, the academy collaborates closely with its neighbours on the London Cancer Hub site: the Institute of Cancer Research and the Royal Marsden Hospital. These represent two world-class organisations and together with the new six-form entry academy they form a campus community with research buildings, hospital facilities, and a reputation for excellence in the fields of research and medical provision. The academy offers a broad and balanced curriculum to the young people of Sutton: the Campus itself provides a focal point for talented scientists and clinicians by establishing world class facilities to not only attract top researchers but also to educate the life science workforce of the future. This is a unique opportunity for dynamic, motivated professionals to be part of the team helping to shape what will become the leading science educational establishment in London.
Similar jobs nearby
Part-time Teacher of English (Maternity Cover)
St Bede's School
Carlton Road, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 2LQ
Harris Girls' Academy East Dulwich
Homestall Road, London, SE22 0NR
Harris Academy Riverside
London Road, Purfleet, Essex, RM19 1QY
The St Thomas the Apostle College
Hollydale Road, London, SE15 2EB
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Sutton