Teacher of English
Due to the expansion of pupil numbers, Queen Mary’s Grammar School, Walsall seeks a passionate subject specialist to join our successful English Department, in September 2020.
This job opportunity provides the chance to teach academically bright pupils from diverse backgrounds who are keen to learn and make progress. Applications are encouraged from both newly qualified and experienced teachers who can bring their unique talents to the school.
We strongly encourage informal visits to the school with the opportunity to meet prospective colleagues and pupils. Please contact Carol Wood (HR Executive) to arrange such a visit, by emailing email@example.com.
Applications should be made using the TES website and accompanied by a covering letter to the Headmaster of no more than two sides of A4 in which you should set out how your experience and expertise match the requirements of job description and person specification. Please read the applicant information pack, which is also available from the school website.
Essential educational requirements
The successful candidate will:
• teach English to all year groups from Year 7 to 11, plus A Level for experienced candidates
• plan and teach challenging and differentiated lessons which enable high levels of progress
• maintain discipline in lessons to ensure that learning can take place
• deploy a range of teaching strategies, including drama lessons, to engage pupils
• mark pupils’ assessments, giving constructive feedback to aid improved performance, and monitor their progress
• use relevant pupil data to help pupils to achieve their full potential
• communicate regularly with the Head of Department about pupil performance and achievement
• make an active contribution to the extra-curricular life of the school.
• well-qualified graduate, preferably in English Language or Literature
• hold, or be working towards, a Postgraduate Certificate of Education or equivalent teaching qualification in secondary education
• passionate about English
• positive and enthusiastic in approach
• excellent oral and written communication skills
• effective ICT skills
• commitment to support the Head of Department and the team
• willing to be involved in the pastoral life of the school and act in the role of form tutor
• commitment to the ethos of the school and a willingness to contribute to enrichment activities – please be aware that candidates submitting generic applications, which make scant or no reference to the school, will not be shortlisted.
Essential skills and experience
NB it is a department policy not to mark pupils’ exercise books at Key Stage 3, only their assessments, prioritising marking quality over quantity, which supports pupils and staff alike.
About Queen Mary's Grammar School
- Sutton Road, Walsall, West Midlands, WS1 2PG
- Queen Mary's Grammar School website (opens in a new window)