- Fixed term (1st September 2022 to 31st December 2022)
Annual or full time equivalent (FTE) salary
- M1-UPS3 (Currently £25,714 - £41,604 1.0 FTE)
- M1-UPS3 (£15,428pa - £24,962pa 0.6 FTE)
Teacher of English (Temporary) job summary
The Ladder School is looking to recruit an enthusiastic, hardworking individual to join our team.
The Ladder School is an academy that is part of The Mercian Trust. The Ladder School is a Free School set up by the trust to offer effective alternative provision for the young people of Walsall.
Based on the edge of Walsall town centre there are excellent links to the local and wider community. The Ladder School operates under a commissioning model, where local mainstream schools identify students at risk of permanent exclusion and moves them to The Ladder School, to transform their behaviour and enable them to be successful in their future. These students have struggled in mainstream education environments and benefit significantly from the smaller class sizes and additional support on offer at The Ladder School.
The successful applicant will have a confident understanding of the English GCSE curriculum and have the ability to inspire and challenge students’ attitude towards English, through their passion and knowledge of the subject. Only applications from those with Qualified Teacher Status will be considered for this post.
The successful candidate will be:
• An excellent teacher with an ability to motivate pupils to make progress.
• Interested in the pastoral aspects of education.
• Outstanding in managing challenging behaviours.
• Positive in outlook and believe in the power of education to change the path of Alternative Provision students’ lives.
• A team player prepared to work with colleagues and share ideas and resources.
• Passionate as an English teacher and keen to inspire their classes and students.
• Have a thorough understanding of current developments and issues in the teaching of the subject and wider profession.
• Committed to their own continuing professional development and contribute towards that of others.
• Innovative and committed to develop solutions to raising achievements.
• Knowledgeable of how assessment for learning, target setting, and department improvement planning can raise achievement.
• Committed to equal opportunities and the safeguarding of children.
• Hardworking, committed, reliable and enthusiastic.
Prospective candidates are welcome to visit the school before making an application, please contact reception to arrange an appointment. Full time hours could be accommodated for an exceptional candidate, but they would be required to teach another subject.
All applicants interested in this post must complete an application form. These can be found on our website, TES, WM Jobs or the Government Portal and returned to firstname.lastname@example.org. CV’s and non- Mercian Trust Application Forms will not be accepted.
The Ladder School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. A copy of the ‘Safeguarding Policy’ is available to view or download by logging onto the School website: www.theladderschool.org.
This position is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check (formerly CRB) under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Further details regarding this check are available from the school or by visiting www.crb.gov.uk.
Closing date for applications: Monday 23 May 2022 at 9.00am
Interviews: Thursday 26 May 2022
Applying for the job
All applicants interested in this post must complete an application form. These can be found on our website, TES, WM Jobs or the Government Portal and returned to email@example.com. CV’s and non- Mercian Trust Application Forms will not be accepted.Download an application form - 106 KB
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About The Ladder School
- School type
- Free School, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- School size
- 10 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
We are an Alternative Provision Free School located in Walsall Town Centre. We opened in February 2019 to a small cohort of students. Over the coming years we will continue to grow and become the ‘go to place’ for alternative provision in the borough.
At The Ladder School, we recognise that mainstream school does not suit all young people and we are here to offer a second chance. We work on a commissioning basis, that means that a school or the Local Authority must approach to place a student. Unfortunately, we cannot accept direct referrals from parents/carers.
The staff work incredibly hard to ensure our students make the most of the opportunities that they get whist they are with us. Unlike other alternative provisions, we offer a range of GCSE courses, supplemented with some vocational courses to ensure students get a well-rounded education.
We are a positive environment, that uses praise and encouragement to enable our students to see things differently. We have a set of values that underpin everything we do.
Over the next year you will see a brand new, purpose built school emerge out of St Matthews Quarter, where we will have specialist facilities for our students, to thrive and grow.