Teacher of English
This is a maternity post to commence September 2020.
About the department:
The English department at Westfield offers a diverse and inclusive curriculum, as well as a range of trips for our students, from theatre trips to author visits and more. Years 10 and 11 are the core GCSE years and all students sit the GCSE papers for both English Language and English Literature. At GCSE we are with Edexcel and at A Level we are with AQA. In recent years, the department has seen steadily improving and highly competitive results and we are determined to maintain that upward trajectory.
The department are looking for a person who:
• Has the ability to teach English confidently across multiple key stages.
• Believes that fostering positive relationships with all students is just as essential as excellent subject knowledge.
• Has excellent curriculum knowledge of KS3 and KS4.
• Is passionate about Literature.
• Is confident in marking in accordance with exam board mark schemes.
• Can articulate and deliver complex terms and ideas simply and clearly.
• Understands the importance of contributing to the curriculum and is open to sharing resources with the rest of the department to fit in with our collegiate values.
• Holds a commitment to raising achievement and providing challenge in the classroom.
• Is committed to projecting and maintaining the high profile of the English department throughout the school.
• Demonstrates a willingness to take a full part in extended-curricular activities, including day trips in order to introduce students to wider experiences and opportunities, particularly in relation to performance of plays and/or creative-writing workshops
• Possesses excellent organisational and administrative skills.
• Possesses IT skills and experience of using ICT in teaching is desirable.
• Demonstrates enthusiasm, energy and initiative.
Essential educational requirements
PGCE or other
Essential skills and experience
The following areas are expected responsibilities of all colleagues:
Teaching and Learning
Monitoring, Assessment and Feedback
Behaviour and the learning environment
This post would suit a colleague with experience as a successful additional post-holder within an English department and would be interested in pursuing similar opportunities at Westfield Academy.
We have a highly successful CPD programme that drives all we do to support teachers become the best possible classroom practitioner.
About Westfield Academy
- Tolpits Lane, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18 6NS
- Westfield Academy website (opens in a new window)