- M1 £25,714pa- U3 £41,604pa
Teacher of History job summarySeptember 2021 saw further student growth for the Academy and, following a recent Ofsted inspection giving a rating of ‘Good’ in all areas, we expect further growth. As such, we have some exciting new vacancies available, including the need for a History Teacher to join our Humanities team on a permanent and full time basis from September 2022. QTS essential and ECTs are welcome to apply.
We wish to appoint an inspirational Historian who is passionate and enthusiastic with excellent subject knowledge to help instil in our students a lifelong love of learning history. At SRWA we value our broad and balanced ‘Aspire to Achieve’ curriculum. Currently 84% of our year 11 students are studying the full Ebacc range of subjects, with all our students continuing with at least one humanities subject to GCSE.
The History department is a popular option choice at GCSE due to a well-planned curriculum combined with a team that is committed to engaging teaching strategies based on strong subject knowledge. The annual trip to the battlefields is oversubscribed as is the year 7 trip to Dover Castle and we are keen to establish a KS4 trip linked to the curriculum. We also contribute to educating the wider community alongside the holocaust trust, and run an annual project where two 6th formers go to Auschwitz and share their experiences in order to educate others.
The Humanities team as a whole is firmly established and has a collaborative ethos built around sharing best practice and discussing the latest research. We also have strong links with Sussex University that we are keen to develop through supporting trainee teachers. Depending on experience and qualifications there may be an opportunity to teach KS5 history, where we benefit from small classes and a rich curriculum.
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
• proven student progress and excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• an established STEM group including work with RICARDO Engineering, a world leading company supporting SRWA;
• employee assistance programme, dedicated staff wellbeing space and 1-1 mental health booster sessions available;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last full Ofsted inspection report, October 2021: Rating of “Good” in all areas:
“The culture at this school is summed up by its motto, ‘Aspire to Achieve’. From Year 7 through to the sixth form, pupils learn to think ambitiously about their futures.”
"The school is a calm and orderly place for pupils to learn….Pupils treat each other with respect … low-level disruption is rare."
"Pupils, parents and carers feel proud of their school…one parent told us ‘we are really impressed with the school, the ethos and the staff’.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in July 2021 for SRWA revealed that these were some of the areas our staff considers are ‘outstanding’:
Staff morale, workload and job satisfaction
Opportunity for staff to offer ideas and for professional development
Support from managers and colleagues
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution,
Induction of new staff
Students' respect for staff/others.
The successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good teacher
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning
• make effective use of their time
• secure high standards of behaviour from students
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 11-18 students (or of successful training for ECTs).
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a positive difference to the life experiences and achievements of our students.
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
The Academy is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
This job post has expired.
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About The Sir Robert Woodard Academy
- School type
- Academy, Christian, ages 11 to 18
- School size
- 1287 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a thriving 11–18 Academy on the South Coast of England, serving primarily the students of Lancing, Sompting and West Shoreham in West Sussex. We are committed to ensuring that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential.