Teacher of Maths
Key purpose of the job
To teach pupils in allocated classes in order to ensure that their learning is of the highest quality.
Responsibilities of a classroom teacher
• Teach pupils within allocated classes, enhancing their learning and providing the opportunity for achievement for all pupils;
• Planning and preparing tasks which challenge pupils and ensure high levels of interest during lessons;
• Monitor the academic progress of pupils within allocated classes and implement appropriate strategies to address underachievement;
• To assess, record and report on the progress and attainment of all pupils within allocated classes;
• To register the attendance of pupils in class;
• To set appropriate homework;
• To mark pupil’s work and give appropriate and constructive feedback;
• To research new topic areas, maintain up-to-date subject knowledge, and devise and write new curriculum materials;
• Manage pupil behaviour in the classroom and on school premises, and apply appropriate and effective measures in cases of misbehaviour;
• Communicate with parents and carers over pupils' progress and participate in departmental meetings, parents' evenings and whole school training events;
• Undergoing regular observations and participating in regular in-service training (INSET) as part of continuing professional development (CPD); and
• Undertake critical self-evaluation and then participate in continuous professional development designed to enhance the quality of teaching or other working practices.
Responsibilities of a form tutor
• To address any issues concerned with the wellbeing, personal development and academic progress of pupils within the tutor group;
• To check uniform and general appearance on a daily basis; and
• To monitor the behaviour of pupils in the tutor group.
Performance Management responsibilities
• All members of staff are required to participate fully in the school’s performance management system.
Other professional requirements
• Have a working knowledge of teachers’ professional duties and legal liabilities;
• Operate at all times within the stated policies and practices of the school;
• Establish effective working relationships and set a good example through their presentation and personal and professional conduct; and
• Contribute to the corporate life of the school through effective participation in meetings and management systems necessary to coordinate the management of the school.
Essential educational requirements
• Good Honours degree (First or Second Class).
• Qualified Teacher Status - Degree or equivalent.
Essential skills and experience
• Relevant teaching experience or teaching practice in the subject.
• Experience of teaching a wide range of abilities.
• This role would be suitable for an NQT or an experience teacher.
Teachers Pension, Healthcare and CPD
About Toot Hill School
- The Banks, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG13 8BL
- Toot Hill School website (opens in a new window)