We are seeking to appoint an outstanding practitioner with excellent subject knowledge and communication skills to join our successful science department. We welcome applications from ECTs or colleagues who would be starting their first year as an ECT. The appointee will be responsible for the teaching of science at key stages 3 to 4 and either Biology, Chemistry or Physics at key stage 5. The science department is supported by three technicians. We want a reflective practitioner and somebody who is able to build on their existing strengths in teaching science so that the department acts as a beacon of excellence in the Trust. The successful candidate will play a key role in supporting the head of science in implementing the department’s improvement plans, while delivering quality first teaching and adhering to the school's stated vision and values of inspiring a love of learning and teaching creatively. You will be supported by outstanding colleagues who know and understand the school and will ensure that the journey to Outstanding is a collaborative one.
Why work at Southgate School
- You will be joining a highly successful school with a national profile of excellence in teaching and learning, teacher training and student outcomes
- We will provide you with exceptional support and provide excellent opportunities such as access to the Outstanding Teacher Programme (OTP), National Professional Qualifications in Behaviour and Culture and Leading Teaching Development
- All teachers can access professional development opportunities tailored for their level of career development. As part of this, we offer fully funded teaching CPD opportunities, such as, The Outstanding Teacher Programme and all the National Professional Qualifications on site
Staff Development and Talent Management
Staff at Southgate School have access to a wide range of CPD as part of our Staff Development and Talent Management Programmes through Middlesex Learning Trust. Over the last academic year, this has included:
- Access to NPQs in Behaviour and Culture, Leading Teaching, Teacher Development and Senior Leadership
- Regular Show and Share sessions for all teaching staff, providing opportunities for staff to come together to share teaching and learning strategies.
- Weekly CPD sessions for Early Career Teachers
- Access to the MLT Teaching and Learning Handbook, which sets out our shared principles for curriculum planning and implementation across the Trust as well as to termly publications of the MLT Teacher magazine, which staff from across the trust contribute to, looking at a wide range of topics. Recent topics have included ‘How Students Learn’ with a focus on cognitive science, ‘Closing the gap’ between all student groups as well as ‘Challenge, High-Expectations and Inclusion’ to ensure Excellence for All
- Development of subject specific pedagogical expertise through cross-school sharing of best practice and structured opportunities for developing subject knowledge with departments, for example through the development of a process for subject-specific reviews
- Peer review activities, including a Challenge Partners Quality Assurance Review
- Opportunities for observing and shadowing practice across Trust academies
- Where applicable, scheduling joint moderation is used across the trust as an opportunity to share practice and enable dialogue between departments
- Launched in 2021, the new MLT Talent Management has been implemented to support retention of our staff and provide clear career pathways within the Trust. Through this talent management framework, MLT is able to identify and utilise the best practitioners and leaders to coach and/or mentor across the MAT. There are 3 tiers, each of which are linked to the corresponding NPQs.
Location and Benefits
Southgate School is situated in the London Borough of Enfield (Outer London). It has excellent transport links. We are five minutes away from Oakwood Tube Station (Piccadilly Line). Central London is only 20 minutes away. We have parking on site and are also very well-connected by local bus routes.
There is a wide variety of property within easy reach. Additionally, there are plenty of shopping facilities, entertainment and recreational facilities nearby.
- A great school with committed staff and motivated students
- Training and development including the Trusts Talent Management Framework
- Free on-site parking
- Employee Assistance Programme
This job post has expired.