Teacher of Science
Purpose: To ensure the greatest possible progress and development of students, through high quality teaching and learning, and appropriate pastoral support. To challenge and support all students to achieve their best by:
• Setting consistently high expectations and standards
• Sharing a love of your subject and of learning
• Enthusing, engaging and motivating students
• Inspiring trust and confidence in students and colleagues
• To maintain thorough and up to date subject knowledge and pedagogy
• To plan lessons and sequences of lessons and to support students in meeting their personal and academic potential
• To use a range of effective strategies for teaching and for behaviour management, as detailed in the school’s Learning Policy and Behaviour Policy
• To ensure the effective deployment of classroom support where appropriate
• To use and analyse performance data including prior learning data, progress data and external examination data when planning lessons, and in order to establish and set expectations, targets and action plans for individuals and groups of students
• To assess, monitor and record progress of students in teaching and tutorial groups
• To set home learning regularly and in accordance with the school’s Homework, Marking and Assessment Policy
• To mark work regularly, provide appropriate feedback, and ensure this feedback is acted upon, in accordance with the school’s Homework, Marking and Assessment Policy
• To communicate students’ progress with parents and carers
• To take part in marketing and liaison activities, such as Open Evenings, Parents’ Evenings, Options Evenings and Celebration Events
• To engage actively in your own Performance Management and to take responsibility for your own Professional Development within the context of the school’s Performance Management and Professional Development policies
• To be a team player within your department and house, contributing to department meetings, improvement plans and self evaluation processes.
• To contribute and where appropriate to lead on departmental learning plans including Schemes of Learning or Schemes of Work
• To work with, learn from, and support departmental and House colleagues
• To cooperate with colleagues to ensure a sharing and effective use of resources and to inform the process of ordering and allocation of equipment and materials
• To alert relevant staff to problems experienced by students and to work with those staff to implement solutions
• Where appropriate, to assume pastoral responsibility either for a mixed age Key Stage 3 and 4 tutor group or a Sixth Form tutor group, as part of the school’s house system
• As a form tutor, to produce appropriate reports and otherwise liaise with parents as required
• To be aware of and assume the appropriate level of responsibility for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and to report any concerns in accordance with the school’s Child Protection policy
• To comply with the school’s Health and Safety Policy
• To undertake any other duties not mentioned above, commensurate with the level of the post
Furze Platt Senior School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Essential educational requirements
Undergraduate degree in relevant subject
Qualified Teacher Status or working towards it
Right to work in UK essential
Essential skills and experience
Experience of teaching required. Suitable for NQT
Would you like to be part of a rapidly expanding school as well as enjoy the benefits of a new state-of-the-art three storey block and the prospect of using a new hall equipped for sports, theatre productions and much more?
We are looking for a well-qualified, inspiring Teacher to join our team of dedicated, reflective practitioners and teach Science. The ability to teach all three Sciences to KS3 is essential with a specialist Science subject for KS4.
Furze Platt is a highly successful mixed comprehensive school serving the children of Maidenhead. At Furze Platt, 1400 boys and girls of all abilities develop the skills and qualities to enable them to excel in the future. We are a highly ambitious, high-achieving and fully inclusive school in which our students are challenged and supported to achieve excellence. We are well placed for access, with good transport links to and from London and surrounding counties. You will be joining us at an exciting time as we enter the second year of access to phase one of an on-site expansion project, the building of a state-of-the-art three-storey teaching block incorporating science laboratories, classrooms, additional staff rooms and a meeting room. We will also be near to completion of the building of a new hall/theatre which will be used by the school and the local community.
We want our students to enjoy the time they spend with us by providing an education which is broad, stimulating and rewarding. We also believe passionately in music, drama, the arts and sport and have a Dance studio, two Drama studios, a recording studio and practice rooms and an all-weather astro-turf to support these. We are proud of the range of extra-curricular opportunities we provide for students outside of the classroom including Duke of Edinburgh, ski and theatre trips, visits overseas to enhance language skills and historical knowledge and many others.
We offer a friendly and harmonious campus atmosphere, with fantastic line support and a Senior Leadership Team who genuinely want to see you succeed and develop. NQTs are allocated a mentor, a reduced timetable and the opportunity to attend training sessions run by specialists from within the school. Career opportunities allowing you to grow professionally within Furze Platt include working parties and coaching for experienced teachers and leadership training for aspiring and existing middle and senior leaders.
There are excellent on-site facilities including use of a recently installed gym, your own laptop, student laptops and interactive whiteboards. As well as access to an employee advice service providing information, helpful resources and other services, there will be invitations to whole school social events such as our Christmas party, and other gatherings to celebrate success, and freshly brewed coffee is ready for you during break-time!
About Furze Platt Senior School
Furze Platt is an extremely rewarding school in which to work. We are a highly aspirational and high achieving school seeking to offer outstanding educational opportunities. We encourage each and every member of our community to achieve excellence. We have 170 caring, committed and good humoured teaching and support staff, together with a diverse student body of 1400 students, who come to school ready to learn and who are supportive of the school’s policies and procedures. This is a school where staff and students work together to achieve high standards and excellent outcomes. Our student body is taken from the town of Maidenhead, less than 30 miles west of London, and from other parts of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire. Whilst overall the area is affluent, ours is a truly comprehensive school, with students from all social, economic and ethnic backgrounds. The school is popular, oversubscribed and well regarded in the local community. Parents and carers are supportive seeking to work with us to support their children. The achievement of most students is good or better and has been significantly above national averages for a number of years. We are also a very inclusive school, and our vertical tutor group system, with six tutor groups in each of eight houses, emphasises the sense of community. We have a specialist unit for students with autistic spectrum disorder, and provide excellent support for those with academic or emotional difficulties. Our curriculum is broad and balanced, and aims to meet the differing needs of students. Students follow the National Curriculum at Key Stage 3 including learning two modern foreign languages. Towards the end of Key Stage 3 students are supported with the selection of their GCSE options and the school works hard to ensure every student is able to study the subjects they have chosen. Our Key Stage 4 curriculum provides an appropriate mix of academic GCSE subjects including English Language and English Literature, Maths, and both Single Sciences and Combined Science as well as Ebac subjects. Some students can opt for more vocational subjects such as Creative iMedia, Business and Child Development. Standards are very high; students make good progress and many departments have results significantly above the national average. The Sixth Form is an undoubted strength of Furze Platt with 170 students joining year 12 this year. The broad curriculum offer and high standard of teaching has led to excellent examination results. A large number of sixth formers progress to university, including Russell Group universities and Oxbridge. Sixth Form students are also expected to undertake community work in or out of school, including paired reading and maths schemes, and acting as subject prefects or mentors. They make a significant contribution to the school. The Sixth Form block has been upgraded and now boasts state of the art teaching rooms, study facilities and a common room. We have excellent ICT facilities, with all departments having either a separate ICT suite or large numbers of laptops for student use. Our VLE (‘FP Online’) is first class, and enables staff and students to collaborate simultaneously over the Google ‘cloud.’ We also believe passionately in music, drama, the arts and sport, and have some excellent facilities to support these including a Dance studio, two state of the art Drama studios, a professional recording studio, practice rooms and a recent addition of a gym and all-weather astro-turf. As would be expected, there are a large number of music and drama productions, and students are able to get the most out of their sports lessons even in bad weather. We have a strong team of teaching staff and are committed to developing our teaching still further, and thus to ensure that even more students reach their full potential. To this end, we invest heavily in teachers’ professional development. In addition to twilight staff development time and teaching and learning-focused INSET days, staff are encouraged to join working parties focusing on aspects of pedagogy and benefit from staff coaching. Where appropriate, staff attend external courses, and we encourage staff to visit other schools to see examples of best practice. Our most recent Ofsted report (September 2016) highlighted many strengths of our school and rated us 'Good' in all areas. Furze Platt is an exciting school to work in, and this is an exciting time to join us on our journey as we near completion of a new three-storey teaching block and begin phase two of our expansion which, when completed, will provide us with a new hall with state-of-the-art theatre equipment. I hope that the information in this pack inspires you to apply to work with us. Should you require any further information, then please visit our website (www.furzeplatt.com) or contact me via my P.A. at email@example.com. With best wishes Dr Andrew J Morrison (BA Hons, PGCE, MA, PhD) Headteacher
- Furze Platt Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 7NQ
- Furze Platt Senior School website (opens in a new window)