Part time 0.6 FTE
MPS/UPR (Outer London)
Required from September 2020
The Tiffin Girls’ School is one of the country’s leading and highest achieving schools, where a ‘love of learning’ is evident in every student interaction. Whilst it is renowned for its academic excellence, there is a keen focus on providing a nurturing environment enabling students to flourish and contribute to society in their time here.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and committed Teacher of Geography, who has the knowledge and love of their subject to inspire some of the country’s very brightest students. In Geography, we understand the importance of gaining a deeper understanding of different people, places and environments so that we may better understand the processes which shape our lives and how these may change over time.
Geography is taught as a separate subject throughout Key Stage 3 and is a popular choice at GCSE with over half the year group choosing it as an option. We also run two A Level classes and consistently achieve outstanding results.
Candidates suitable for the role will:
• be confident in teaching Geography across all key stages including A level
• be an excellent classroom practitioner who is prepared to be innovative in their teaching
• have the ability to communicate effectively with staff, students and parents
We can offer:
• the opportunity to join a highly successful Geography department with a wide range of experience and expertise
• a stimulating and creative environment in a school where extra-curricular activities flourish and teachers are encouraged to introduce new and innovative activities
• a CPD provision tailored to your needs focusing on areas of research and development
• a supportive environment where the work-life balance of teachers is proactively promoted
• a two week October half term
• numerous other benefits (please see our attached information pack)
The Tiffin Girls’ School is ideally situated just fifteen minutes’ walk from Kingston upon Thames town centre and mainline station (Zone 6). For further information about our school please see our web site on www.tiffingirls.org Please apply using the downloadable application form on this page or available on our website, or contact the school office. Please note that CV’s will not be accepted.
Closing date: 9 am Monday 2 March 2020
Interview: Thursday 5 March 2020
The Tiffin Girls’ School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share and support this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to both a full employment history and child protection check, and will also be required to undertake an enhanced Disclosure and Barring (criminal record) check.
Essential educational requirements
Good honours degree
Qualified Teacher Status
Evidence of commitment to continuing professional development
Essential skills and experience
Evidence of raising student achievement
Strong track record of high success rates and positive value added in teaching at all Key Stages
Ability to demonstrate excellent teaching practice against the current Teaching Standards to A level
Demonstrate an ability to work as part of a team in a successful department
Evidence of effectively using assessment data to inform teaching and learning in your classroom
Demonstrate high level of skill in giving effective and regular feedback to students on academic progress
Ability to be an energetic and supportive form tutor
The ability to reflect on own teaching practice, adapting teaching strategies and techniques based on departmental / senior leadership team feedback
Excellent organisational skills, ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Demonstrable commitment to treating others fairly, equitably and with dignity and respect
Demonstrable commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
All of our employees enjoy a range of benefits, with some specific benefits for teaching staff:
• Two week October half term
• Free tea and coffee in the staffroom with regular ‘treat days’ eg Fruit Friday
• Pleasant working environment on the outskirts of the busy town of Kingston upon Thames with easy access to London and the surrounding Surrey countryside
• Free on-site parking
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Childcare vouchers (salary sacrifice scheme)
• Enhanced maternity benefits and consideration given to flexible working where possible
• Free at the point of use counselling
• Free lunch and refreshments on Inset days
• A busy Staff Association who arrange social event
Teaching Staff benefits:
• Membership of the Teachers’ Pension Scheme: the school contributes 23.68% of salary
• Generous Teaching & Learning Responsibility allowances to recognise positions of responsibility
• The opportunity to participate in a wide range of working parties to enhance and influence working practices and pedagogy irrespective of your experience
• A structured CPD programme with elements of selective CPD so that you can tailor your personal development to meet your needs
About The Tiffin Girls' School
The Tiffin Girls’ School, a selective state school and stand-alone Academy, is a vibrant and happy community where the girls take centre stage. The school is currently home to 1,160 girls, aged between 11 and 18, and for 138 years has been providing an education where girls can live up to the school’s motto sapere aude - dare to be wise. The school prides itself on encouraging girls to aspire to excellence in everything they do, whether that be: academic excellence, a passion and enthusiasm for the creative and performing arts, sporting prowess, or student leadership. A broad and challenging curriculum sits alongside a stimulating and rewarding range of extracurricular activities, many of which are student-led, and these elements of school life combine to develop inquisitive, confident, dynamic and successful young women ready for their future lives as global citizens.
- Richmond Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT2 5PL
- The Tiffin Girls' School website (opens in a new window)