£59,581 - £69,031 (L15-L21)
The pupils, teachers and Governors of St Joseph’s School are seeking an inspirational headteacher, with a strong, clear vision and strategic skills to drive forward our developmental journey. The successful candidate will embrace and drive opportunities to formalise partnerships within the diocese, and integrate a new pre-school provision.
The Governing Body wishes to appoint an experienced, enthusiastic and suitably qualified practising Catholic to lead our school. We are looking for an individual with a track record of
teamwork, leadership and improvement. You will bring ideas and vision and implement them
in a collaborative way with the Governing Body, staff and wider community. This is an
opportunity to lead our strong and supportive team and set high expectations for the
development and achievement of every child.
The successful candidate will:
• Be a practising Catholic who will promote Christian values.
• Demonstrate proven leadership skills that will inspire the school community and set the
highest expectations for the development and achievements of every child.
• Pursue our strategic vision and commitment to further enhance current high standards.
• Develop well skilled staff at all levels and drive excellence across the school.
• Establish themselves as a motivational leader, team player, effective collaborator and
• Continue strong, established communication and positive relationships to lead and
inspire our staff, pupils and parents.
• Lead the spiritual life of the school by personal example.
• Encourage and commit to developing our links with the parish, local community and
• Drive forward strategic collaboration with the schools in the Newman Partnership.
We can offer you:
• Fantastic children, who are positive, keen to learn and enjoy coming to school.
• A highly motivated and dedicated staff who are committed to making a difference.
• A school rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted and the Diocese, which has a strong local reputation.
• A one-form entry school with extended school provision.
• A warm welcoming Catholic ethos with a supportive parish, governing body and Diocese.
• A well-maintained school in the coastal town of Portishead near Bristol.
• Potential contribution to relocation expenses.
Applying for the job
Applications must be submitted on the CES Application Form which is available from:
Applications should be returned to the office marked “CONFIDENTIAL HT JOB APPLICATION”
or to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of Monday 22 February.
Local authority maintained school, Roman Catholic
207 pupils enrolled
4 to 11
About St Joseph's Catholic Primary School
“Together we love. Together we hope. Together we learn.”
St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School is at the very heart of an inclusive, vibrant, Catholic community. Together we share a love of learning and the love of Christ. Together we hope to inspire ourselves and each other to be the best we can. Together we learn to strive for excellence in learning.
Portishead is a pleasant coastal town situated a few miles north of Bristol and our school has
been educating the children of Portishead for more than 100 years. The Governing Body has
operated a popular After School Club for many years and plans are well-advanced to open a
Pre-School during 2021.
We are an active member of the Newman Partnership, which comprises eleven schools in
North Bristol and surrounding areas. This family of Catholic schools has been working
successfully at an operational level for some years and is currently looking at ways to establishmore formalised collaborative working. Experience of transition from LA to other governance arrangements would be beneficial.
Arranging a visit to St Joseph's Catholic Primary School
We welcome you to visit our school. If COVID restrictions prevent a physical visit, to experience it first-hand, we welcome you to take part in a personal, live, virtual visit and tour.
Please contact the school to arrange. You may do this before or after making an application.
In the meantime, you can find out more about the school by visiting our website: