Science Teacher: ECT
24 days remaining to apply
Start date details
22 June 2023 at 11:59pm
25 May 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS/UPS (London Fringe) + £1,500 Harris Allowance
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
We are currently looking to appoint an ambitious and highly motivated Science ECT to join our happy and successful school.
At Harris Academy Ockendon you will join a dedicated team of teachers and staff supporting our vibrant students. If you are looking for an opportunity to grow, inspire and develop, this may be the role for you.
The successful candidate will:
- Enjoy working with teenagers and helping them succeed
- Believe in our shared values: work hard, be kind, take responsibility
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
- Have successful teaching experience at secondary level
- Understand the theory and practice of effective teaching and learning
- Understand the importance of high expectations and equality of access for all students
- Have knowledge of National Curriculum requirements at KS3 and KS4 in particular
- Be able to work as part of a team and to develop and maintain positive relationships with all staff
- Be able to create a motivating and safe learning environment for all students
- Be able to communicate positively with parents, carers and other external agencies where necessary
- Have good written and spoken communication skills
- Be able to lead and manage your own work effectively
- Have excellent time management skills
- Be able to motivate students and raise their aspirations through a range of strategies
What the school offers its staff
“I am passionate about three things:
Being great at number 1 and number 2 should not mean we can't do number 3!”
- George McMillan, Executive Principal and National Leader of Education.
We are an 11-18 academy with a thriving Sixth Form and a lovely building. ; It is a school where we are as passionate about developing our staff as we are about developing our students.
Our location just outside the M25 means we attract staff not only from Essex but from London. Indeed, over half our staff live in Kent/Surrey/South East and Central London. Some of our team even travel from West London because they like the school so much.
Our role here is to help students and staff dream bigger than they ever thought possible, and to make that dream come true through our culture of “work hard, be kind, take responsibility” which beats at the heart of our school.
We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
As a teacher at Harris Academy Ockendon, you will:
- Ensure the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality curriculum that has high expectations of achievement for all students;
- Ensure curriculum coverage is appropriate for all students, including those of high ability and those with special educational or linguistic needs;
- To make suitable adjustments to the curriculum and lessons to ensure all students learn the intended curriculum
- Ensure effective development of students' literacy, numeracy and information technology skills through the subject;
- Constantly strive to produce lessons that enable students to make outstanding progress through the curriculum, ensuring that every pupil makes progress in every lesson, achieving the teaching standards set out in June 2013;
- Plan effectively for every lesson, in accordance with Harris Ockendon 6 Principles of Teaching;
- Establish a partnership with parents to involve them in their child's learning of the subject, as well as providing information about curriculum attainment, progress and targets;
- Fulfil the role of a Form Tutor and teaching of the PRE or Guided Reading curriculum as required;
- Create an effective and stimulating environment for the teaching and learning of the subject;
- Be committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people;
- Work with colleagues to set and achieve departmental targets;
- Engage with, and participate in, any relevant whole Academy or department CPD;
- Engage with, and participate in, the Academy's Performance Management process.
Commitment to safeguarding
Applying for the job
Apply for the job by following the link belowMore on how to apply (opens in new tab)
About Harris Academy Ockendon
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1329 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy Ockendon website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 01708 851661
Harris Academy Ockendon is an 11-18 academy with a thriving Sixth Form and a lovely building. It is a school where we are as passionate about developing our staff as we are about developing our students. The Harris Federation is a highly successful group of schools who serve many of the most deprived areas of London and Essex. We are collaborative, enterprising and share a passion for turning lives around, yet each school is autonomous and free to set its own vision and strategy for how it does that. Each Harris school feels completely different in terms of culture and ethos. Perhaps this is the school you’ve been looking for. Our role here is to help students and staff dream bigger than they ever thought possible, and to make that dream come true through our culture of “work hard, be kind, take responsibility” which beats at the heart of our school. “I am passionate about three things: Leading staff to become happy, successful, highly trained professionals who stay in the game and don’t burn out or lose their way. Creating a fulfilling secondary experience for students where they can grow to become well-rounded, ambitious and successful young adults ready to put a ding in the universe. My life outside work. Being great at number 1 and number 2 should not mean we can’t do number 3!” - George McMillan, Executive Principal and National Leader of Education. A lovely secondary school where the students say, “Good Morning”, and actually mean it. Check out our school via our video https://tinyurl.com/HAOC-Video The Executive Principal is George McMillan. Originally from Glasgow, he graduated from the University of Aberdeen with an MA (hons) degree in English Literature and a burning desire to teach. After teaching in Edinburgh, then moving to senior management in Chafford (Essex), George took over Harris Academy Greenwich in 2011 and led its transformation to hitting the top 15% of schools in the country for progress 7 years in a row. Harris Greenwich is one of only a handful of schools in London to retain its Outstanding status (2014 then 2022) under the new Ofsted framework, and the World Class School status twice in a row. The Principal is Ms Jo Rainey. Originally from Belfast, she graduated from ;the University of Ulster with a first class degree in History and Geography. Over the past 21 years, she has taught history and led in schools across London and Essex with most of her senior leadership career being spent in Hackney. Jo has been Principal at Ockendon since 2018. She is highly respected for her strong sense of integrity, her passion for student life chances, and loyalty to the school.
Similar jobs nearby
Harris Academy Rainham
Lambs Lane South, Rainham, Essex, RM13 9XD
Weald of Kent Grammar School
Tudeley Lane, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 2JP
Woolwich Polytechnic School for Girls
1 Birchdene Drive, Thamesmead, SE28 8RF
Hillview School for Girls
Brionne Gardens, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 2HE
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed