SEN Teaching Assistant
This job expired on 30 May 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
30 May 2023 at 11:59pm
5 May 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Full timejobs - Term time only: Actual salary £21,877-£22,237
Full-time equivalent salary
- Grade 2 (Inner London)
+ Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (LGPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Inspire and transform learning with us. Harris Academy Peckham is looking for a SEN Teaching Assistant to support individuals and groups of students with additional needs to enable them to access learning, contributing to the development and maintenance of a purposeful, nurturing learning environment.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Training
- Educated to degree level or equivalent or relevant recent experience
- Some knowledge of strategies in working with young people with challenging behaviours
- Knowledge of some of the social issues facing students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues in the workplace.
- Experience of working directly with young people in an education or training environment, supporting the learning of students.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with a range of stakeholders, at all levels.
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload.
Personal Skills, Abilities & Qualities
- Good literacy and numeracy skills,
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with an excellent standard of written and spoken English.
- Good administrative and organisational skills.
- Ability to interest, encourage, motivate and engage children
- Ability to work as part of a team; working effectively with people across a wide range of levels and responsibilities.
- Computer literate – must have good ICT skills including a working knowledge of MS packages e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel etc, as well as using and updating records and databases.
- Ability to work using own initiative, exercising good judgement where unsupervised.
- Flexibility of approach to work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; having tact and diplomacy where necessary.
What the school offers its staff
Our vision at Harris Academy Peckham is to ensure every child achieves excellence in all aspects of academy life. We have high aspirations, both in terms of academic standards and personal development, in order to prepare your child for the demands of the 21st century global workplace. We expect every child to excel, and will provide the necessary challenge and support to make this happen.In line with all Harris Academies, we ensure that we prepare engaging and innovative learning experiences for our students, within a disciplined context where good manners, smart uniform and mature conduct are expected from all.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan, electric car scheme, 26 days' annual leave (plus bank holidays) for non term-time only employees, and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
Your role will include:
- To supervise and provide particular support for identified students, in 1:1, group or whole class situations, ensuring their safety and access to learning.
- To assist in the development of appropriate resources, schemes of work and teaching strategies, working with the classroom teacher to ensure the provision supports each identified student's learning needs.
- To monitor the progress of students with SEND
- To assist in evaluating identified students' progress through agreed assessment activities.
- To provide detailed and regular feedback on students' achievement, progress and needs.
- To lead small group sessions and interventions as appropriate.
- To attend to the students' personal needs where required.
- To support with behaviour management, using appropriate strategies in line with academy policy.
- To contribute to creating a purposeful and supportive learning environment.
- Undertake structured and agreed learning activities/teaching programmes as appropriate, adjusting activities to ensure achievement of learning goals.
- To assist with the supervision of students out of lesson times, including playtimes and undertaking lunchtime duty.
- To establish good relationships with students, acting as a role model and being aware of and responding appropriately to individual needs.
- To promote the inclusion and acceptance of all students.
- To be aware of and support difference and ensure all students have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop.
- To support students with their learning and development in respect of local and national learning strategies
- To encourage students to interact with others and engage in activities
- To set challenging and demanding expectations
- To prepare the classroom as directed for lessons and clear afterwards and assist with the display of students' work
- To prepare and maintain equipment/resources and assist students in their use
- To undertake student record keeping as requested.
- To establish and maintain positive relationships with parents/carers
- To provide clerical/admin support as required
Commitment to safeguarding
Upload additional documents
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About Harris Academy Peckham
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 16
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 573 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 16
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy Peckham website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0207 703 4417
Our vision at Harris Academy Peckham is to ensure every child achieves excellence in all aspects of academy life. We have high aspirations, both in terms of academic standards and personal development, in order to prepare students for the demands of the 21st century global workplace. We expect every child to excel, and will provide the necessary challenge and support to make this happen.
Similar jobs nearby
Lady Margaret School
Parson's Green, London, SW6 4UN
49 Bow Road, London, E3 2AD
The Bishop David Brown School
Albert Drive, Woking, Surrey, GU21 5RF
Harris Girls Academy Bromley
Lennard Road, Beckenham, Kent, BR3 1QR
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in London