Teacher of English
Thamesmead School, Shepperton, Middlesex
|Job role||Suitable for NQTs|
|Subjects||English Language, English Literature|
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1 to Main pay range 6, £24,858 to £35,801|
• To plan, prepare and teach lessons of the highest quality.
• To use the resources of the subject in an effective and imaginative way.
• To motivate, enthuse, excite and challenge students to produce the highest quality work.
• To contribute to the writing and implementation of the subject’s Development Plan.
• To respond to professional development opportunities and work within the school’s Continuing Professional Development Framework, including ICT developments.
• To support departmental and school approaches to assessment, recording and reporting.
• To participate in the pastoral organisation of the school as a form tutor, as required.
• Work within the subject’s schemes of work and contribute to their review and development.
• Attend subject and other school meetings and so contribute to departmental and whole school improvement.
• Monitor individual student progress by using data and assessment procedures and by giving appropriate feedback to students, parents and line managers.
• Promote the school’s ethos and behaviour management approach.
• Exploit opportunities to develop students’ skills in ICT, literacy and numeracy and to contribute to students’ personal, spiritual, moral, social, cultural development and race awareness.
• Contribute to the department’s programme of events.
• Promote the general progress and well-being of individual students and of the Tutor Group as a whole.
Essential educational requirements
Graduate or equivalent in appropriate subject.
• Qualified Teacher Status.
• Evidence of continuing professional development
Essential skills and experience
• Successful teaching practice or experience teaching English to students aged 11-16.
• Up to date knowledge and understanding of current educational issues.
• ICT competence and interest in using ICT in the classroom.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• The ability to prioritise, plan and organise.
• The ability to solve problems and make decisions.
• The ability to take responsibility for continuous professional self-development.
• The ability to inspire students and staff.
• The ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
• The ability to analyse, understand and interpret relevant information and data.
• The ability to use ICT appropriately.
At Thamesmead we place a high emphasis on Professional Development and provide a full and varied CPD programme for all teachers. Through a combination of independent pedagogical research and a structured programme, our aim is for all staff to be informed and reflective practitioners, leading and developing best practice that ensures successful outcomes for all students. There is an ethos of support in the school, where everybody’s principal aim is to provide the best education for the students as we can.
|School size||1022 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 16|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|Website||Thamesmead School website (opens in a new window)|
About Thamesmead School
The school is situated to the West of London with good rail and road access. Our location means our staff enjoy living in areas such as West and South West London, Surrey and Berkshire making fantastic choices for city, suburban or rural living available.
Thamesmead is a vibrant and successful school. In 2019 our students gained strong GCSE results. 85% of students gained a 4 grade or higher in English and Maths and 58% of students achieved a grade 5 or higher in English and Maths. 83% achieved 5 GCSEs or more graded at 4 or above.
"Pupils behave well, are co-operative and respectful towards their teachers and each other. Strong leadership aims to ensure that the school provides the best possible standards of teaching and learning."- Ofsted.
Manygate Lane, Shepperton, Middlesex, TW17 9EE