This is an excellent opportunity for either an ECT or someone wishing to further develop their career. For the right candidate there may be opportunities for a Lead Practitioner role.
English is a thriving and successful subject area. This summer 2022, the English Department achieved some excellent GCSE results with 98% achieving 4+, 92% 5+, 61% 7+ and 27% Grade 9 at Avonbourne Girls. And at Avonbourne Boys with 84% achieving 4+ and 70% 5+. Our A Level Students achieved 100% A*-C in English Language.
The academies are part of United Learning, a large and growing group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England. The academies benefit from working closely with The Cornerstone, Glenmoor, Winton and United Sixth Form Academies, as part of the United Learning Bournemouth and Poole cluster. We work as a team and achieve more, by sharing, than any single school could.
This summer, the Academies celebrated some outstanding GCSE and A ‘Level results. At Avonbourne Girls’ Academy, 90% of students achieved a grade four and above in both English and maths, with 71% achieving grade 5 or above in both subjects. In addition, 29% of students achieved grade 7 or above in English and maths. Over a quarter of students (27%) achieved a grade 9 in English.
Similarly, Avonbourne Boys’ Academy have received excellent results. In both English and maths, 80% of students achieved four or above, and 57% achieved grade 5 or above in these two core subjects. In both maths and English, 22% of students achieved a top grade of 7 and above.
The school also performed well on the government’s EBacc measure. At Avonbourne Boys’ this point score was 4.40 and at Avonbourne Girls’ it was 5.30.
Our United Sixth Form 2022 cohort saw 21% of entries receive A* or A grades. With an overall pass rate of 100%, 58% of entries achieved A*-B grades and 82% of entries achieved A*-C grades.
We are values-driven and our vision is to provide excellent education so that all young people are able to make a success of their lives. Our most important purpose is to teach young people things they would not learn outside school which empower them. Our mission is to bring out ‘the best in everyone’. We are unapologetically ambitious for every child, no matter what their background, prior attainment or needs. We also believe in ‘Education with Character’ – we want young people to look back on a schooling that has inspired and challenged them, given them wide opportunity and prepared them for the ups and downs of life.
We value our staff highly, and treat workload very seriously. Our systems are high leverage, ensuring you can really focus on your core purpose – teaching, in a sustainable way, unhindered by bureaucracy or poor behaviour.
What we offer:
- An exceptional salary, above the maintained sector
- The opportunity to save money across hundreds of major retailers, through Perkbox
- Disruption-free learning and a ‘warm-strict’ behaviour system
- Collaborative planning with centralised, shared units of work and resources
- Opportunity to teach up to A Level
- A feedback policy focused on whole class feedback – no onerous marking policies
- A centralised homework system at KS3 – you do not need to mark KS3 homework
- Centralised detentions, including homework detentions (you do not need to organise/run/chase them at all)
- No formal graded lesson observations – just ongoing ‘no-stakes’ feedback, helping you to continuously develop
- Excellent ongoing CPD, career development and promotion opportunities across the United Learning Bournemouth and Poole academy cluster
- Up to 9 INSET days per year, dedicated to subject knowledge development and planning/resource development
- An unrivalled professional progression model to enable great teachers to remain in the classroom via our Lead Practitioner (LP) and Specialist Leaders of Education (SLE) routes and/or progression routes to middle and senior leadership
- A very pleasant location in beautiful Dorset
What we are looking for:
The successful candidate will be:
- an excellent teacher of English who will play an important role in helping to move English into its next stage of development
- aligned to our values and mission. If you are the type of person who fits with our culture, you will love working here
We actively welcome visits and would be delighted to show you around our Academies to fully appreciate our excellent learning environment.
Avonbourne Academies are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for all successful applicants.
Note – We reserve the right to interview and offer to a strong candidate prior to the closing date. It is strongly recommended that candidates submit their application as soon as possible.
For more information
To apply, please complete the online application form.
For more information about this role or to arrange a visit please contact:
Closing date: Midnight on Sunday 29th January 2023
Interview date: TBC
This job post has expired.